It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Few Americans followed through on promise to move to Canada if Bush won

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Few Americans moved north after Bush win: stats

Fri, 05 Aug 2005
CBC News

The hordes of Americans who vowed to move to Canada after George W. Bush was re-elected president last November haven't followed through on the threat, immigration numbers show.

A total of 14,666 Americans applied to emigrate between November 2004 and March 2005, according to statistics from the main processing centre in Buffalo, N.Y. That's 1,600 fewer than had applied in the six months leading up to the U.S. election.

Toby Condliffe, who chairs the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad, said he's not surprised there was no exodus of despondent left-leaning voters.

"There's more to moving than just politics," he said. "There's family and other considerations that start to take hold when you start to think about it seriously."

People eventually just calmed down after Democrat candidate John Kerry lost the election, he said.

Within hours of Bush's acceptance speech on Nov. 3, 2004, six times more Americans than usual visited the official Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Newspaper articles, television items and blogs later quoted countless Americans who said they couldn't continue to live in a country that would re-elect Bush.

One was Jonathan Lynch of Seattle, who told CBC News that he was thinking of applying for "some sort of political asylum or something."

What a bunch of lazy hippies.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
What a bunch of lazy hippies.

Perhaps, life saw otherwise.

- Economics spectrum
- Repeated Veteran hospitalization
- Court custoday battle
- Family tree concerns against splitting the family
- Still more than I care to share with you

You see, there is a lot between "swearing I'm moving, with full intention thereof" [including request for work transfer forms, housing and travel arrangements, already having been delved into] - and being ABLE to. Ya, I have that kind of cash flow sitting in a damn sock. You ever just pick up an entire family and MOVE to another country?

You are taking the act of living life as we know it out of an equation, and replacing it with "lazy hippies".

Proud of your little juvenile name-calling spat are ya?
"Mommy Mommy the hippies are still here!!"

BTW - Ain't it just amazing how so many million hippies, myself included [hi-school drop-out to WORK; 3yrs military - tanker, no desk 'work'; 20yrs construction - be lazy at that, see how long on a job-site], work their assses off all there life - but to you will always remain "lazy hippies".
Yes, I am a hippy - I believe in the Old Ways; I burn my incense and smoke my herb; I listen to Pink Floyd and love plants; fully believe that the US-Gov has too much power and organized religion has their hand too deep into the rectums of those powers that be as well; war is futile, and Bush can kiss my asss. Put that in yer pipe and puff.

See the beginning, see the end, screw what happens in the middle, just label it to what fits your agenda .......... ugh

Misfit

[edit on 6-8-2005 by Misfit]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
A total of 14,666 Americans applied to emigrate between November 2004

Forgot to bring up - you are basing your flame of people on one number, the number of those that applied to emigrate. OK, so, of those, how many were approved, how many of those approved went, how many of those approved are still going [ie: like it says itself, moving is more than politics].

14,666 applied to move there --- period, end of numbers [supplied]. You are damning a large number of people because of that one number. I swear, Dr. Spock's ears would wilt upon hearing that lack of logic.

Misfit

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Watch how many leave when Bush decides it's time to take over Iran.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberianHusky
Watch how many leave when Bush decides it's time to take over Iran.

Funny, but no one will leave. Americans may get more angry but I see more of an internal fight brewing than an exodus.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
gimme a break, alright? im just a kid! i dont exactly have much control over these matters.

top topics

join