It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laptop or Desktop for College?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I'll be going to college this fall, and I will be purchasing a new comptuer for my use. (this old one is a few years old, it's really keepin' me down.) And so I ask, which do you, in your opinion and/or experience, is best for college, a laptop or a desktop?

My parents are adament about a laptop, and I am adament about a desktop. I feel, for one, that the power far outweighs the ability to carry your work with you. I'll be purchasing either a powerbook or a powermac, for the record, because I want my computer to work.

At any rate, which do you think is best?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
From my experience, the main difference is portability. I use a laptop for work; it does just as good as any desktop I've ever used. It all depends on the specs of the computer. Desktops might be a little easier/cheaper to upgrade; I haven't had to upgrade my laptop yet, so I can't really say. About the only bad thing I can see about laptops is certain high-end video games won't run because of the "integrated video solution" (according to the box's system requirements at least.)

If you aren't planning on moving the computer around a lot or taking notes with it in class, you might as well go for a desktop. At the same time though, you might want to give the laptop a try too though--you'll find other uses for the portability I'm sure.

I guess I'm not much help
But I figured I'd throw my two cents in anyways.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If you need it for gaming desktop all the way

however if you had no desire to be an uber pro, then go with the laptop :p

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Obviously both have benefits and drawbacks.....

The one thing that makes me slightly jealous of powerbooks users is the ability to record lectures. One of my coworkers does this during meetings and I am forever asking him to forward me a copy for review. I have a rather short attention span......

Of course, the same effect can be achieved with a tape recorder....

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
How 'bout a computer that gives you the best of both worlds?

Seriously though, go for the laptop.

Peace

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
In my experience if you're just going to use it for college work, meaning Word processing, researching, Internet and NOT for Gaming then go for the laptop. Otherwise get yourself a nice gaming desktop.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If you plan to upgrade later get a desktop. Laptops are notoriously hard to upgrade. Again though to repeat the others, if you wish to have power over portability then desktops work out cheaper in the power/pound (or dollar or whatever) ratio. But as someone who goes to a boarding school I would recommend a laptop. If you are worried about performance then may I suggest a wander over to www.alienware.com they do amazingly powerful systems but you do pay for the power.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
More and more I would say the desktop is the best choice, because most colleges have plenty of available computers to work on, and any specialty stuff like graphics, CAD, etc, will be done on high end workstations provided by the college.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I would definetly say a laptop. Try Ebay or better yet try here. You just sign up to something for 10 pounds, refer 25 people to do the same, they send you the laptop with free P&P and then you just unsubscribe and take your money back. And you'll have a great laptop for free. The BBC did something on this to see if it was a scam and it turned out not to be or so I hear.

BTW you have to live in US, Canada or UK

Atomix!!!

[edit on 30/7/05 by Atomix]

[edit on 30/7/05 by Atomix]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Scam bids to fleece eBayers.
July 31, 2005

Sophisicated criminals are taking aim at customers of the internet auction house eBay to skim money from their bank accounts.

Consumers are being hit with emails, purporting to be from eBay, but which are being sent by criminals trying to rob unsuspecting victims.
The emails tell recipients their eBay account will be suspended and they will be barred from the auction site unless they update personal details.

The fraudulent emails also provide a link to a website where the information can be entered.

eBay Australia trust and safety director Alastair MacGibbon said the fraud was an industry-wide problem and most internet companies with large customer lists were targets.

He was unable to say how much money had been lost by customers through the fraud.

To deal with the crime eBay has set up an investigation team and called on people who receive suspicious emails to send them to [email protected] for confirmation.

Ebay scam

If this is in Australia, it's worldwide.

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Theres a scam on Ebay every other week. Alienware giveaway has nothing to do with Ebay....I think

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Decided yet Amory??? Come on, tell..............

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well, no, although everyone's opinions are really going to help when I have that large arguement with my parents.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If you're a carefull person a lap top will do the job, if you kind of "slob" you should go with the desktop... the lap tops also give you alot more trouble and expenses to fix than the desktop...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
If you need it for gaming desktop all the way

however if you had no desire to be an uber pro, then go with the laptop :p

thats what im doing. im taking my laptop i got for high school graduation and just brining it with me. the games i do play work well enough on her anyways so im not going to worry about that aspect. also if you live on the higher floors id bring a laptop because a desktop would be a bitch to get up there. luckyly im on the 3rd floor of my dorm.

also what college are you going to?

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think as long as you have a computer, you'll do just fine

I got along fine with a desktop...If I needed a computer when I was on campus, that's what the library was for...I just got in the habit of carrying discs with me...

Now - There is one distinct advantage...And that's if you get a portable printer - Because then you actually have those extra few minutes before class to finish that paper you should have started a week ago

You say to yourself...No - I wouldn't let that happen - I'm more studious than that! Ha!! Just you wait

Honestly though - I think performance outweighs the portability - It's nice to chill out after you come home from class to a few hours of mindless gaming...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Desk top, I hate laptops. Friend has one and had to spend an extra 40 dollars to get special fans that sit on the bottom to keep it from frying. Also, in college, kids aren't all goody two shoes and a lap top is easier to steal then a desktop.

Also the whole car key/remote control phenomenon. "I just had it here and now it's not there." and you spend an hour looking for it.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I would go with the desktop. You'll get a lot more for the money. Portability is way over-rated.

source

Though notebook sales are currently driving the PC market, evidence is beginning to mount that one of the most repeated predictions from the '90s is starting to come true. Smart phones, the BlackBerry and other handheld devices that combine computer applications, Internet connectivity and a phone are starting to displace laptops, at least in the pockets of the corporate world.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2005/8/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Amory,

You might mention how easy it is to steal, and conceal a laptop.
If you feel the place you will be living, is fairly safe (for a desktop) , you might use that argument.

the flipside is..You have to leave a desktop at home, alone, all by itself..
So your residence must be secure.

But that could work...they probably don't want to shell out the bucks for a replacement laptop..

Space

[edit on 5-8-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This bad boy should be coming either Monday or Tuesday:

I also just received this today, which I'm psyched about:

external image

top topics

<<   2 >>

join