It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Someone Answer This Question on Army Dress?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
If you are a soldier currently serving at Ft. Campbell, KY, what head gear do you use with your class A uniform? And what pin or patch is on it?

Muchas Gracias.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The reason I want to know that is b/c when I die I think I'd like to be laid to rest in my uniform. People get buried in their Sunday best. I have plenty of nice clothes, but nothing that I love that much.

It's funny... back when I was in training (BASIC, AIT) we had to wear our class A's when we traveled. I hated it. If I was taking a train home, I'd jumpin the latrine 5 minutes down the track and be into my civvies. And now here I am, thinking that's the best outfit I've got.

[edit on 7/27/05 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
afraid of showing off yer hair?
, i dont think u can wear jewelry either to death. too bad, unless they made changes to it. also since u probably left the military before the standard issue black beret so thats a tough problem since people have a hard time perfecting it on their heads,dont want to let people complain how yer beret was set backwards while burying u . the cap is pretty much been taken out. think u wear the patch to wat unit u belong to.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
afraid of showing off yer hair?
, i dont think u can wear jewelry either to death. too bad, unless they made changes to it. also since u probably left the military before the standard issue black beret so thats a tough problem since people have a hard time perfecting it on their heads,dont want to let people complain how yer beret was set backwards while burying u . the cap is pretty much been taken out. think u wear the patch to wat unit u belong to.

No, you wear your unit pin on your shoulders (at least at the 101st). We wore the age-old parachute patch on the garrison hat.

a) Class A Dress Uniform

OD wool Garrison Cap

“Infantry Blue” piped with unit white on light Blue parachute patch on right hand side, and of twin peaked type.

Notes: Photographic evidence illustrates that the parachute patch was retained for as long as possible in the 101st Airborne and the Para/glider patch is not seen worn with the Garrison Cap until very late in the War (and not by enlisted men while in England).

The patch was originally positioned on the left side prior to deploying to England when it was moved to the right side (either just before Normandy or certainly on the Division’s return).
www.faaa.co.uk...

I guess I'd havta be buried with the garrison hat in hand.. never sposed to wear a hat inside. A coffin would definitely be in that category!

But a good soldier makes sure his/her uniform is tip top and correct to the inch.

[edit on 7/28/05 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
The reason I want to know that is b/c when I die I think I'd like to be laid to rest in my uniform.

Your not being buried at Arlington Cemetery?

seekerof

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Don't they still require that ECK? I know the Marines do. Service Alphas for reporting, and we lucked out enough that it was Charlies when they released us for leave after graduation.

Besides being uncomfortable as a son of a gun it wasn't really so bad for the first few hours. Fresh out of boot, first class PFT and looked like it, the attention was nice until the uniform really got to buggin me. Just by coincidence I ran into a soldier fresh out of basic when I got home. I guess he didn't want to talk though. He still had sort of a paranoid look on his face, like he thought there might be a drill instructor around the next corner or something.

One things for sure, I don't miss that service cap. The band of that thing gave me a headache after about half an hour. I thought I was going to pass out during final inspection. The garrison cap is a heck of a lot easier on the noggin.
I'm not so fond of berets either (and I make it a point to say so whenever I see the right of a ranger on some pot-bellied reservist). I never had to wear one in the USMC thank God, but in cadets before that I made the mistake of going to survival school and earning my a red beret there. I think wearing that dang wool beret in Palm Springs weather was a heck of a lot worse than all of the starving and running I had to do to earn it.

Edit to add: far and away my favorite part of the uniform was those dang shirt suspenders (well, maybe rivaled by staining your shirt when one of the backings falls off of your ribbon mounts). My DI taught us to wear those things do dang tight they they'd break if you raised your arms above your head. They used to give me back aches.

[edit on 8-8-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
To actually answer your question..

The beret is proper in Class-A. The Garrison (saucer/bus drivers) cap was dropped in the 80's for enlisted. The "c u n t" cap is also no longer required. Only the BDU/DCU/ACU cap and beret are authorized headgear for normal daily wear.

[edit on 10-8-2005 by Army]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Ya gotta love it when you run across fresh recruits out of boot camp, say, going through the airport. They look traumatized. I always shake my head and thank God that little window of time has passed. It's amazing the difference in demeanor and perspective a person goes through from reaching one's first active duty assignment to the day he/she gets out. It's the widest gulf I've ever seen in a human being. Day one: skittish as h e double l. Zero day getting out: indestructable.

top topics

join