It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Coca-Cola Commercial and Rock Sellouts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonedef
Find me one person who didn't pick up the guitar in jr/sr high for money and fame. Now to a jr/sr high kid the money and fame isn't the world tour to 50,000+ person arenas. Its free beer at the party their playing and maybe finally getting to hook up with that hot chick who digs guys in bands.

I'm not disagreeing, although I am being unclear. In the example you quoted, I meant those with the fame and money already, to an extent. Not your high school kids, but your older guys, who do have careers based on this stuff already, and who are not starving.

That being said, the vast majority of artists get into the business because they enjoy it. It's a hard business, and it's getting even harder to make it when you're actually making good music (as opposed to cookie-cutter crap), and the odds of picking up a guitar and making it out there are very small. You do it for fun, because you enjoy it, and because you've got the feel for it. That's the best ticket to success. You should be trying to make money early on if only because you need the money to stay true, to stop from selling out. Once you get past that point, however, to go back is most often going to be selling out.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad
Godzilla1985 - I'm not entirely sure whether I agree with your definition of sell out. I prefer this one...

"If you work in the music business and you make money, you're a sell out" - South Park

That is indeed the definition, musicians could just as easily play music for their friends etc, and not have to sign a contract, but instead they do. Nothing wrong with selling out, who doesnt want money, after all it does run the world.

<< 1   >>

join