It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liquid Metal - Kinetic Energy Penetrator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 01:14 AM
link   

DU has been the material of choice for anti-tank ammunition since the 1970s because it has twice the density of lead. And it has two key advantages over pure tungsten, which has a similar density.

Tungsten shells flatten on impact, forming a mushroom shape. But DU rounds self-sharpen as they deform because material breaks away in a way that preserves the shell's shape, a phenomenon known as "adiabatic shear banding". DU rounds are also pyrophoric - the fragments ignite in air, torching the interior of the target vehicle.

Now Liquidmetal Technologies, an R&D company based in Tampa, Florida, says it can get comparable performance from penetrators made of an exotic alloy of tungsten.

Normally, solid metals are a lattice of tiny crystals. The size of the crystals affects the properties of the material, which tends to fracture along the boundaries between them. Instead of such a metal, the company wants to use an amorphous alloy that has a random arrangement of atoms, as in a glass or liquid.
CLICK HERE for New Scientist article

LIQUID METAL TECHNOLOGIES WEBSITE

[edit on 4-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I have herd of this stuff. There was a article in popular science about the new metal. After I saw the article I found that website. It could become the next super metal.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
At least it takes the emphasis off of using depleted uranium and thats a big step and a big plus.

Kinetic Energy rounds are being found to be quite useful and very deadly. The areas of research and applying KE rounds will serve all the branches of the military but mainly will be utilized by the Air Force (A-10's, etc) and the Army. With the limited battlefield use and application of kinetic rounds already, observers have found that the lethalness of such a KE round is el'primo. Research has already begun in creating armors that can withstand such rounds. The US is currently working on such a project in relation to and application for the M1 Abrams.

Very few KE rounds were and have been used and mainly in testings but I found and read a report/article where one such KE round was used in the first Gulf War. When fired, the round went through two (2) T-72, with armor enhancements also, that were parked side-by-side. The shell exited and carried on down the battlefield.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 23-8-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Now believe it or not a company makes golf drivers out of this material. I saw it advertised in a golf magazine the other day. As with all companies they claim incredible distance.

Anyway an interting aside.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This KE stuff will have some kinda huge application to the US airforce.

Would be nice to see if they can make a incredibly strong polymer/alloy out of it.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zenic
This KE stuff will have some kinda huge application to the US airforce.

Would be nice to see if they can make a incredibly strong polymer/alloy out of it.

I'm not sure if the density is sufficeint for air weapons as a penetrator. Maybe not, do you know if Tungsten is used in air weapons at all or is it too light ?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I wonder if its the same company Apple is using for its future products.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

Not sure your link works friend. I am going to try and load up a video here before I forget how to do it

Is it this stuff?

edit on 11-4-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

That is not a "liquid metal" it is a liquid solution of iron powder and oil. It was invented for use in race car suspension dampers.Not very new either been around for 15 years or so and was developed by Lotus for their road reading suspension.

top topics

join