It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-14 breaking the sound barrier (video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
This should be a video of F-14 breaking the speed of sound. I wonder of it's real. Indeed, because it creates the condensation cone it looks like it broke the speed of sound, but is it allowed for planes to fly supersonic such low to the ground? And can the F-14 even go supersonic at such low altitude? Too bad the video has no sound...

The video (only 2Mb) :

[edit on 16-7-2005 by longbow]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
The only place they aren't allowed to go supersonic is over a city area. All supersonic fighters can go supersonic at just about any altitude. This is actually pretty common, especially over the ocean like this one. They usually fly fighters off the carriers supersonic or near supersonic by carriers on Tiger Cruises, to show off a little for the crews/passengers.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I have watched that video but I don't think it goes supersonic only because its so close to the spectators viewing it. I think it is traveling in the transonic region but does not cross mach 1 just come very close to it.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
They actually do break the sound barrier right next to the carriers. There's a great video out there of an F-14 streaking by the carrier, he goes supersonic, you hear the boom from it, and his engine explodes.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Thats not a shock wave, thats condensed moisture. Its been shown and discussed on these boards a half dozen times.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Thats not a shock wave, thats condensed moisture. Its been shown and discussed on these boards a half dozen times.

Really? So why do you think it's conical? And why it appears only for few seconds?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
That video is pretty good but this one is better!

This one is definitley going supersonic!!!!!

F-14 Tomcat Supersonic Flyby!!!!!

Mic

[edit on 16/7/2005 by MickeyDee]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
That video is pretty good but this one is better!

This one is definitley going supersonic!!!!!

F-14 Tomcat Supersonic Flyby!!!!!

Excellent video you've found there Mickey!

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
covered here

[edit on 6-8-2005 by Bikereddie]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Well, correct me if I'am wrong, but the lower the plane breaks the sound barrier the easier it is. Because the density of the air, the plane must have less power to accieve a certain speed in lower alltitudes than in higher... So it's easier to do that near the ground. And fi it's leagal? If the army does it, everyting is leagal... And I can't se why it wouldn't be leagle, Cos' if it ain't bothering anybody it shouldn't be a problem... And then we have to aske the question: "Why would somebody make an unreal video like that", I can't find any reason why anybody would do that...

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
The HIGHER the plane is the easier it is to break the sound barrier, because the air is less dense, so it requires a lower overall speed. The reason they try not to break the sound barrier over land masses, is because the shockwave tends to break things, a lot. It's not "illegal" really, it's just really really frowned upon unless it's an emergency.

top topics

join