It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Claim to 'Prove' Time Travel is Possible to the Past.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
try

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
as i ve agreed that time travelling to the past will move the traveller to another dimension, ie. parallel world. in case, the traveller change the history, the future of that world is not our concern, as we will still move on based on our histories, not the other dimension world's histories.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
If time travel backwards were possible, then it would stand to reason that it could work the other way. According to Einstein's theory of relativity it has always been possible to move forward through time at an accelerated rate; but never backwards. The problem is that in order to go back in time one must achieve speeds greater than the speed of light. At present nothing moves faster than the speed of light; and light is the ONLY thing that travels that fast. In order for you to travel at the speed of light you would have to be converted to light particles. Even then you are simply exsisiting in the same time, not moving backwards. It's possible that they have discovered a particle that can move faster than light, thus enabling time travel backward; however the human body could never make that trip.

I should clarify never: in the forseeable future. Advances in technology and science are being made all the time and whose to say that in 200 years we haven't created a way to tranform a human into energy and then assimilate it back together.

I digress though, you see Einstein's theory also stated that the faster you go (in relation to light speed) the faster through time you would travel. So if you could travel fast enough to bypass lightspeed, then you sure could go slower than it. Therefore, if you can travel backwards through time then you must be able to move forward to your original time frame.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I keep constantly hearing all these "I don't know how it would work" scenarios. Yes, these 'killing your grandfather' situations are confusing to understand, but they don't discount the possibility of time travel to the past. Our current logic perhaps cannot fathom how passage through time can be possible or real due to all the what-ifs. But the what-ifs don't explain things properly. Never forget, we have zero clue as to what existed BEFORE the Big Bang. The whole notion of what the universe was BEFORE it became the universe - what was the nothing before the something - is a totally mind boggling thing. Did someone or something create the universe before it was created? And what created that something? Stuff that our logic cannot fathom. Yet... here we are standing on planet Earth.... evidence that obviously that unknown factor does have an answer. Likewise with time travel. Obviously there is an aspect of time that we do not understand and no matter how much logical scenarios we apply to it, it may still remain confusing, but never means that it's not possible.

Sean

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Reverse Time travel..
Interesting though all things I have read prior to Quantum Physics has indicated only forward time travel was possible.

Perhap's I might review that thought..though I have very limited physics knowledge..

Dallas

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This may sound a little strange, but when some one talks of traveling back in time wouldn't that be their timeline? Wouldn't that mean that every one around them would see them living their life in reverse, getting younger?
What I am saying is that if you want to travel back in time isn't what you really want is the whole universe and everything in it to go back in time while you stay the same?

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
ok look, think of time and actions as a tree. branching out indefinately. every single action/choice made creates a new branch, even if it means no changes, it still creates a new branch. so in a sense there are an incountable number of branches. say we are on the original branch. it may not be but say it is. just by gettin up and eating a burger or sumthing would possibly create mutliple branches by the multiple choices u make by making the burger. if u had chose not to make the burger u are on a different branch going in a different direction. that other branch still exists though....u just dont know it because of the fact ur not living it. every possible decision is played out. the fact u didnt eat that burger was maybe just caused because u didnt feel like it, but maybe there was the chance u decided to. this will show how time travel would really effect nothing.

so now with the time travel part. u go back, u say hey eat that burger. so u eat it.... maybe nothing really happened, maybe u get sick from food poisoning, or even die from it. more and more branches. but it would be another new branch, for now it was u who caused it. that would change everything. either way we would never know about it because we arent living it.

planet of the apes for example. hes not traveling time. hes traveling alternate worlds.

but to be able to go to the future ud have to leap from all these branches to an imaginary branch which is impossible. u cannot choose which world u wanna end up in, in order to go fowards it would have to be predetermind and known so u could get there. this would be like saying a blind deaf man could walk his way to sanfancisco from new york without help from any person or thing. he wouldnt hed have no sense of direction nor sense of where he was going. this isnt possible. tho to make it so time is altered can be possible.

if the theory of einstein is true then going at this speed 99.99% speed of light could make ur 1 day be however much in normal time then this would be possible to go to the future.....once ur at the future u have the possiblity to go back and make a single change (not multiple this would be bad) and see the outcome by again traveling foward till u get the desired outcome.

rent the movie primer if ur interested in stuff to this extent

EDIT: further more i just thought up that, in order to travel back ud have to exit the outside of the deminsion u with to utilize. in other words ud have to exit the dimension of time so that while ur traveling back nothing exists because if u went back to anywhere u create matter. ud have to exit a dimension so that u are not destroyed and de-aged on the way back. stayin in it would be like a reverse. goin outside of it would be like watchin it all in reverse from the sidelines

[edit on 14-7-2005 by grimreaper797]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
A genuine Time Machine is being built right NOW !

Check it out below.

"In a laboratory in the United States, the first real attempts to travel through time are being planned. A professor at the University of Connecticut at Storrs, Dr. Ronald Mallett, has been obsessed with the notion of time travel since he was just a child.

His life's goal is founded in his past, when as a boy, he first read H.G. Wells' science fiction novel The Time Machine, which suggested the prospect of returning to the past to save his father who died at just 33, when Mallet was 10.

Now he believes he has found a way to make time travel possible - on a circulating beam of light. He is working on a project to move sub-atomic particles forward through time using lasers; if he succeeds, it will be a milestone in science and will open the door to the possibility of a machine that will transport people into the future.

Mallett has acquired scholarly fame recently with his published theories on time travel. Time is relative to space and velocity. This concept is difficult to grasp, but it has been supported by experiment. Travelling close to the speed of light will slow a clock, even an atomic clock. Likewise, a clock outside our atmosphere, far from any gravitational pull, will run faster than a clock on earth. Therefore, if an artificial gravitational force were created, time travel would, in theory, be possible

Dr Mallet completed his doctorate in general physics with the title "Quantum Theory in a (3+!) de Sitter Universe" at Pennsylvania State University, and has published in the areas of the classic and quantum theory of black holes, relativistic astrophysics, and quantum cosmology. Currently, he teaches as a full professor at the University of Connecticut. He explains to us that his work on gravitational theory in based on "the exact solution to the Einstein field equations," and that the "solution has been used to study the Hawking radiation of evaporating black holes."

His research interests are gravitational theory, based on an exact solution of the Einstein field equations, which combines the effect of mass loss due to radiation with the de Sitter inflationary geometry. That solution has been used to study the Hawking radiation of evaporating black holes, as well as the effect of radiation from the shells surrounding false vacuum bubbles on the evolution of these bubbles.

The evolution of false vacuum bubbles is an important topic in the study of the very early history of the universe. Ongoing investigations address topics in quantum cosmology - the application of quantum mechanics to the universe as a whole. The quantum evolution of the universe is usually described by the Wheeler-deWitt equation. The probability density associated with the wave function of this equation is, however, not positive definite. A new wave equation for the wave function of the universe, in which this problem is removed, has been found. This result suggests that the universe may have been created with two possible states.

If this is true, then it looks like Dr Mallet may well be the person to explore both states."

www.discoveryanz.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Can I email a rich successfull version of myself in another universe and see if he wants to swap for a couple of months. Like an exchange program. I think there's a lot more to the puzzle that we just don't understand. Like anti-matter. If there is matter then there must be anti-matter right so there must be a ton of other things that go on in the universe that we just don't know about. Or the math on the models of the universe may be wrong? Who knows, only time will tell.

I would love to be able to go forward into the distant future to check it out.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The nearest to time travel is not watching a movie or seeing a photo but its in our thoughts, we think of the past and thats the nearest thing to time travel we have so far, or losing a few seconds in space or on a plane.

If we could go back I reckon we would end up in a different time line because we have effected the future. Maybe if a man has come from the future he has ultimately caused him self to not exist, so it never happend and all the attempts end up as not happening because they extict them selfs. Paraelle universes just extinct them selfs, so if it happened in theory it never did. Like when we try to think of the future but never happens. Sometimes we are right, but have we travelled mentally to the future or just calculated it as sportman would to score a goal when we are right.

The only real time travel I heard of is in the Bible based on prophecy, Ezekiel's wheel and Jesus tranfiguration also.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Lets try this one.How do we know nothing can exceed the speed of light?Many theories use that as a basis,so suppose we can exceed that speed?What would happen then?I think we would simply get to where we were going really fast.Isn't time just a point relative to any other point?The day has twenty four hours because our system of measurement of time is based on the Earths rotation,correct?So if that is true,what if that is a wrong interpetation of what real time is?Could this time travel be possible if a different set of equations were used based on different constants?

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
My take on the whole time travel idea, is that it juist can't be done. What happened, in the past happened in the past. there is no going back to change events, or witness the historical events. There are no alternate universes where I might exist as a rich or poor version of my current self.

Face it we live in a "boring" existence, a one way street in the universe. No going backwards or forwards in time, nice movie ideas though. No matter what theories, ideas, equations the einsteins of the world might address, they will remain just that theories.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
The only paradox allowed is the paradox that states "no paradox is allowed"

Everything else is relative to absolute time in a neoaether.

if you are the center of your subjective universe then perhaps you (and only you) can decide if the rest of the universe will follow your specific timeline.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yeah, it's not "that" hard... Einstein claimed that when generated a wormhole, and send somebody trough it, it could go back in time...

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
i think time travel is just a fantasy. what a nice one though. i know i would love nothing more that to travel back in time to fix the HUGE istakes i made in life
. that would be so nice, but like i said, just a fantasy.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
if some one was to go back in time it would open a hole in the space time contium and ending the world as we know it

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join