It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little help...

page: 1

join
share:
M6D

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Now ill skip the useless stuff, im writting a little thing here and there about parts of a rocket launcher, and i use google and stuff, but i cant really find the best places to find out where these work, now, i know you guys here have some great links hidden away, so id be grateful if you could post any info you know about workings of rocket luanchers so i can write this little piece of mine! thanks all!

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Here's a link

I hope it helps.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
M6D, it depends by what you mean rocket launchers. Do you mean anti-tank launchers like the LAW family, or the good old 84mm Charlie 'G', RGPs - not really rocket launchers, but can do the job, or how about 'Dragon' or do you refer to the multi-barrelled launchers on tracks - as used in GWI and GWII?

M6D

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
well..by rocket launchers, both would help, thanks for all links already guys! they were useful!

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
M6D, the 'rockets' I have fired, aren't really rockets per se, but I suppose most infantry hand-held, shoulder-fired anti-tank weapons use rockets of some type.

The Light Anti-Armour Weapons like the Yank '66, Brit LAW '90 use small rocket motors to propell the warhead out to a static tgt at 400 metres which, depending on the skill of the soldier, should result in at least a 'mobility' or 'firepower' kill, whilst at closer ranges, say 300 metres or less, should destroy a lightly armoured vehicle. The LAW '90 we use is capable of destroying an MBT - but I wouldn't want to take on a tank with it, 'cause you have to fire a 9mm tracer round first!

Other weaps like Milan or Dragon can be classed as ATGW because they are guided either by wires or are 'fire-and-forget' - i.e the missile locks on to a thermal source.

The good old 84mm 'Charlie G', was a 2nd generation 'recoilless' anti-tank 'gun' that used a simple HEAT warhead, able to destroy vehs like BTRs or BMPs out to 400 metres. Hell of a 'mother' to carry, let alone fire! And those misfire drills, and it took 2 to use it! Not to mention the backblast of 30 metres x 45 degrees (anybody behind me = toast, is another thing I remember!)

Oh yeah! It also created a hell of a vacuum when fired and a massive dust cloud - bit of a giveaway if you're lying in an ambush! Unless of course it's raining - then you'd often as not get a misfire!

On the other hand M6D, the RPG - nasty piece of work - uses a very thin rocket with fold down spring loaded fins, to propell the grenade out to 400 metres - or there about. Great for trench or bunker clearing, not to mention choppers and tanks.

top topics

join