It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravitons?? Maybe.....

page: 1

join
share:
TN1

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Dear Friends,

I was looking on another web-site where i came across discussions about 'mysterious particles' as they have been called, 'mysterious interactions' and 'mysterious properties' of these particles.

I need to say that there is nothing mysterious in all that and those are not the 'particles' that everyone is familiar with.

We need to start with the definition of a photon in order to define the graviton.

As you probably know, radiation is coming to us in discrete packets of energy, that's very important because we cannot oberve and measure continuous values for energy. The difference between discrete and continuous is that discrete (in mathematical terms) in either 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and so on, whereas continuous could be 1,1.003,1.0067899, and every possible value.

For example the number of rooms in a house could only be a discrete figure, like 2, 3, 4....10.
On the other hand the length of a line or could be anything (continuous value).

Therefore these discrete packets of energy, called photons, exhibit both wave-particle properties, in a few words, they behave like waves and exhange energy like particles.

A classical example is the photo-electric effect where the particles metals absorb photons (or radiation) and then release electrons. Therefore radiation interacts with matter quite well !!!!!

Finally if we assume that gravity (and of course we need to prove it or at least have good indications) is coming to us in discrete packets of energy, then gravitons should experience both wave-particle properties, as photons do.

There is no complexity in the above topic, although i will be very pleased if you can comment in anything you like.

Thanks,

TN1

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The graviton theory that I am familliar with involves the gravitons actually originating in anothe demension. The graviton particals are so powerful in their originating demension, that we feel the overflow of what is left being bled over into this demension. Gravity is actually one of the weakest forces in the univers when compared to other forces. Heck, anybody can defy gravity for a few seconds. Just jump. When compared to another force like say magnitism, gravity is pretty puny. Imagine of you had a magnet the size of earth, and you wore metal soled shoes. You wouldnt be able to even take a step

For more info on gravitons, see 'M-theory' and the Elagant Universe. A series produced by PBS.

A good place to start

[edit on 7/8/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Just in case there is an intrest in this, I have gathered some more links on Gravitons and their properties.

NASA

Cornell

Ask a Scientist

Ask a Scientest

new topics

join