It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Encourage Your Kid to Join the Military?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I know that I was stating a personal bias. Sorry for my opinion. Do you know the marines have ther own 'air force'. But is it up to Par with the Air Force's? Hardly, just like your navy 'air force' They may have blue angels which might I say is awesome, but they don't have all the planes the Air Force does. Are you aware of the training that Marine Snipers go through? Moreso than any sniper training in the world. So there you go. You can have your prefrence and I'll have mine. But I'll admit they are all great and are all needed.

[edit on 7/11/2005 by 9890]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by 9890
You can have your prefrence and I'll have mine. But I'll admit they are all great and are all needed.

[edit on 7/11/2005 by 9890]

Yes, they all have their individual strengths in the battle front. This we will definately agree on

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
That is a tough question. I am not sure that if I were a mother that I would promote the idea of go and join the military and have a great time. However, if my child wanted to join I would not discourage him/her. As difficult as it may be sometimes you have to let your children make there own decisions and hope for the best.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Depleted Uranium (DU) is commonly used in Armour piercing rounds due to its high density. It is only mildly radioactive in the sense that it only releases Alpha and Beta radiation. However when a shell hits a target the metal vaporises into microscopic particles.
Once inhaled (or consumed as the metal is soluble in fat) these particles do not stop being radioactive. At point blank range DU is more than capable of causing cancer and birth defects.
In the first Gulf war we used 300 tonnes, and according to UN this may have increased Iraq’s cancer rate by around 50% nationally and some areas by over 1000%. Knowing this we used 1500 tonnes this time round and on some ocassions in Baghdad itself.
The reason for this may be because the government (but not the arms manufactures) is still in denial about DU's health affects. It has to be because doing otherwise would entail hundreds of millions-billions in compensation to troops and civilians alike. Obviously this attitude will only cost the tax payer more in the future. I guess that most government officials hope they personaly will be out of office-retired when it does.
Furthermore DU is considered an essential weapon by the military. If in doubt about anything I have said please use Google and type: "depleted-uranium" "DU" or better still "Depleted-uranium health-effects".
The worst thing about depleted Uranium is that it has a half life of 4.2 billion years. This means half of it will still be radioactive when the solar system collapses. This is a typical problem with things that are only mildly radioactive (they stay so forever).

Thing is they would have to change their policies big time if they wanted me or any kids I have to join. But I would refuse outright as long as DU remains a weapon in use. P.S I am about to turn DU into a discussion.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

So they will look good.
Memo to recruits: If you wanna look good - go join the Navy!

I think you ment AirForce
Unless your version of looking good includes bluejean bell bottems and an ugly button up denim shirt. Yeah, the dress blues and whites are sharp, but for military fashion, look to the airforce. Heck they even wear scarves

Scarves, my A double S!

The best dayam looking uniforms in the military are Army Aviation. Flight Suits rule, MOFO. With the shades and jump boots. Alla way.

[edit on 7/13/05 by EastCoastKid]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join