It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are older people so stubborn???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is actually meant in a good way...sorta....

here goes...

An older woman, she is the grandma of my wife's deceased husband....no blood or marriage relation really, but we still think of her as family, and love her to death. She's in her late 80's, not sure exactly on age...

Interesting woman, was a nightclub singer in the late 20's, in the circus after that, and I believe her dad was a pretty famous jazz guy (would have to look up the name)...

Anyhoo, normally she's pretty good at letting us know if anything goes wrong. We usually try to have her over for dinner at least a couple times a month, so she gets a good home-cooked meal, and a game of Scrabble (she's still sharp as a tack when it comes to that game). Just about a week ago, she got stuck outside when her scooter got caught on a root. She called with her cell and we were there in minutes (mostly because the message made it sound like she was trapped by boxes, hehe....due to her wording of it). She was then ok though, as I got her out.

So, she calls tonight to cancel dinner as she doesn't feel up to it. Come to find out, she lost her AC two days ago, and didn't bother with it, then almost got heat exhaustion, even had the ambulance out there, and she didn't let us know!!! Geez!!! Why so stubborn! Poor gal... She's got an AC unit in now though, and is feeling better...

I'm sure it's cause she "doesn't want to be a bother", but c'mon! That's what family is for, right?

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
she is the grandma of my wife's deceased husband....

Good to see that deceased is working for ya.....

As for the stubborness of the older generation.......I think that comes with age.......they're unable to relate to the younger generation and they are used to being the authority........letting that go is the difficult.

Personal autonomy is one of the last things to go and usaully is an emphasis on the waning years of their life......she probably doesn't want to admit she can't because she knows the implications of that. I don't blame her......I'm goiong to be a very stubborn old bat, judging by my current attitude.......

join