It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire Mostly Destroys Dallas Religious Museum (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
A five-alarm fire broke out at a Dallas, Texas religious museum on Tuesday. As 120 firefighters struggled to minimize the damage, it is estimated that only 10 percent of the museum's artwork was salvaged.

www.guardian.co.uk
About 120 firefighters battled the blaze while temperatures outside approached 100 degrees. Authorities said the flames were under control by late afternoon. They did not know what caused the fire, which was first noticed by people in a tour group who smelled smoke.

The museum's signature piece, a 124-foot-by-20-foot painting depicting the descent of the Holy Spirit on the apostles, ``looks like it's totally burned,'' museum Director Scott Peck said.

``Tremendous loss. It's devastating,'' Peck said, standing near an entrance hall blackened by the flames.

Peck estimated that only about 10 percent of the artwork was salvaged.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ouch, I hate to hear about museum art being lost. 80 to 90 percent of the museum's art inventory is a devestating blow to the museum.

This museum featured a 15 million dollar Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit in 2003.

In 1997, a rash of three museum fires broke out within a month, including one at the Paris Palais de Chaillot.

Related News Links:
www.mercurynews.com
www.wfaa.com
www.dfw.com

[edit on 6/29/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
As staunch an Athiest as i am,
this saddens me,
destroying the artifacts of people who lived before me.
These items may be the only thing left of their lives and now it is lost.
Things important enough to them to craft with care.

If this/these fire(s) is the intentional act of someone, I certainly hope they are aprehended right away.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yep, fire or water, the art is doomed when an art museum goes up in flames.

The creativity of an artist's hand owes nothing to religion. Hell, wasn't Da Vinci an atheist?

*Searches web* whoa, maybe not:

www.forteantimes.com...
In fact, Leonardo da Vinci was neither, as we discovered over the course of our eight-year-long research. He was an unrepentant, totally committed heretic - an adherent to a religion that was opposed to Jesus, the signs of which can be found coded within the symbolism of his works.

Damn, that's fascinating.

Zip

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
According to the local news reports both on KDFW as well as WFAA, the museum was also displaying works dedicated to the 9/11 as well as the heros such as the firefighters at 9/11. This report was on the TV reports. I just searched both sites s well as a few of the other news stations local here but could not find the reference.
Sorry.

new topics

top topics

join