It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our planet is alien-friendly?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Okay, has anyone ever thought, that perhaps the extra-terrestrials thought of this planet as un-inhabitable and a total wasteland? Maybe they need spacesuits to breathe and walk on this land.

I mean, the aliens probably don't even live like we do at all. Hell... for all we know, they could be living on Venus with those scorching heats or maybe out there in Pluto where it is really really cold.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Well, there are reasons why life as we know it cannot exist in the environments you describe. Proteins and organized organic matter cannot exist at the 900+ degree temperatures on Venus...they simply lose tertiary structure.

As for Pluto, at temperatures that close to absolute zero, there is not enough molecular activity to support any significant biological processes.

Your point is well-taken though...there is no reason at all why any ETs might have completely different life support requirements than terrestrial life does. Methane breathing is one that comes to mind immediately. And if the ETs were water breathers, we might never know it if they are here, even if they have vast bases on Earth in the deepest parts of our oceans.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Good point i have allways thought the same as it happens, ppl allways asumme that there gona be like us stand on two legs, two eyes and breath oxygen!

All u have to do is watch "stargate or startrek" to know that there could be anything out there. I watched an intresting stargate once where the aliens wer sulphur based and had to trasfom the planet to suit there needs! fiction but an intresting idea!

Like u said they could be anywhere !! Good point though

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
No matter what their form if they are existing in this Reality then they would also leave traces. These would be mixed in with the evidence of other Races. An Alien Race that we share a fair amount in common with might be reasonably understandable to us but unless Intelliegence of our particular sort is common we might never understand some beings.

The idea that there is this wide diversity of types of intelligence is the basic idea behind my sig line. Not a single Race, but a whole spectrum of intelligent creatures is the mostly likely possibility.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
No matter what their form if they are existing in this Reality then they would also leave traces. These would be mixed in with the evidence of other Races. An Alien Race that we share a fair amount in common with might be reasonably understandable to us but unless Intelliegence of our particular sort is common we might never understand some beings.

The idea that there is this wide diversity of types of intelligence is the basic idea behind my sig line. Not a single Race, but a whole spectrum of intelligent creatures is the mostly likely possibility.

A.T
(-)

Right On!

I mean, as sci fi as this may sound our own sun may be their enemy - so many factors, so many possibilities.

top topics

join