It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Prediction Map

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I hope they didn't spend too much money on this 'study'.
This looks more like common sense then a science study to me.
An area gets a bunch of earthquakes ... it's more prone to have
one in the future. I didn't think we needed a science study and
$$ spent to figure that one out.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Excerpt

Science Daily
June 21, 2005

New Map Of Daily Probability Of Earthquake Shaking In California
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) has announced the release of new public web pages that show the probability of earthquake shaking in the next 24 hours in California. These maps graphically illustrate the change in earthquake probability during aftershock and possible foreshock sequences.

The maps are not intended to be used to predict an upcoming earthquake; however, based on previous earthquake sequences, an increase in probability will be seen before about half of California's larger earthquakes. The maps are updated at least once an hour and are available to the public at pasadena.wr.usgs.gov... .

"The new maps represent a synthesis of our knowledge about earthquakes in California," said Dr Lucy Jones, Scientist-in-charge of the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program in Southern California. "They factor in our knowledge of faults, underlying geology and expected rates of earthquake aftershocks."

The new maps and the way they were developed are discussed in an article in the current issue of the journal Nature. The methodology was developed by a team from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zurich, Switzerland, and the U. S. Geological Survey in California, with funding from the Southern California Earthquake Center, ETH and the USGS.

More info at the site -
www.sciencedaily.com...

[edit on 6/22/2005 by FlyersFan]

join