It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email embarrasses 119 students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

LAWRENCE, Kan. - Due to an e-mail mistake by the University of Kansas, 119 students who failed all their classes during the last semester found out who shared their misfortune.

The students were notified earlier this week that they were in jeopardy of having their financial aid revoked. The e-mail sent Monday by the Office of Student Financial Aid asked for additional information to determine if they were still eligible for aid.

The e-mail address list included the names of all 119 students, with the result that everyone on it could see the names of all the others.

"It was a completely inadvertent, unintentional mistake," university spokesman Todd Cohen said Thursday. "It was our error, our mistake and we deeply regret it."

Nancy George of Gardner, one of the students on the list, was livid, saying the mistake was tantamount to releasing the grades of students without their permission, which the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act prohibits.

George said she took only one class last semester and failed it because she had to spend time tending to her young daughter, who developed pneumonia.

George, saying the mistake probably gave others an inaccurate picture of the type of student she is, is considering filing a complaint.

"The fact that I have a master's degree and over 200 college credits and have never failed a course before, none of that is in the letter," she said.

tsk tsk poor 119 students to be put up on the public and show that they failed. how embarrassing. i wonder if we can sue the schools for dat.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thats the difference between the BCC and CC fields, shame the sender wasnt smart enough to realize it. It really is a careless mistake that could have and should have been prevented, but instead of people filing suit they should petition for the person or persons responsible to be reprimanded or fired.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
It really is a careless mistake that could have and should have been prevented, but instead of people filing suit they should petition for the person or persons responsible to be reprimanded or fired.

Exactly. What is there to sue for? It's not libel - they failed, no one is denying that. You can't sue for being embarassed. And I really don't think there was intent to harm or darken anyone's name. It's just unfortunate and kind of silly.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   

119 students who failed all their classes during the last semester found out who shared their misfortune.

Well, Im a firm believer in the "Praise in public, Criticize in private" method.
But sometimes a little humiliation and embarassment is what young people need to get them going.

It should have not happened, but it did. So the students need to press on, learn from it and quit whyning. Did this mistake effect thier grades, no it did not. Did it cause any "psycoloigical damage"..nope. Those who got the email probably already knew who is "smart" amd who's not (wrong choice of words, but you know what I mean).

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Thats the difference between the BCC and CC fields, shame the sender wasnt smart enough to realize it. It really is a careless mistake that could have and should have been prevented, but instead of people filing suit they should petition for the person or persons responsible to be reprimanded or fired.

I wonder if that person got their own email too?
They might NOW !!!

lmao

And no doubt about the filing, jeez, ya failed - do it again from the start. We fail time and time again from the day we start trying anything, it's part of LEARNING !!! -Who are they gonna sue when they fail at a job interview, the one hiring?
Maybe in college yer shunned if ya fail,
Not like when Johhny stayed in 7th grade again any longer I guess. Maybe Johnny should have sued? heh

Warmongers shout "Nuke 'em all, let god sort 'em out"
then I guess this is applicable:
Suiters shout "Suite them all, let the court sort 'em out"
Jeez

This country is too suite happy.
I'll prolly get sue'd for saying that.
Prolly because I don't know how to speeel suit sue soo and offended those that suit sue soo all the time.

Misfit

[edit on 18-6-2005 by Misfit]

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It is private information. Nobody other than yourself or guardian has the right to view it.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
As college they should not make this stupid mistakes

sometimes could lead to susicde and stuff like that

some people have scholarship from companies and family to feed

They must consider all that stuff

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
It is private information. Nobody other than yourself or guardian has the right to view it.

Very true... but then again, the only people who know are the other people who failed, so does it really matter?
It's not like they sent it to anybody who had any ground to stand on picking on the others.
If you know all the names on the list... you are one of them and can't really say much.

It's not like they sent it to the whole university, then I could see people really having a problem. You don't need to be embarassed when the other people are in the same situation.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
She only cares what people think of her. Vanity is the most selfish human condition, isn't it.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
as usual people making excuses and not seeing the real issue.
humans make mistakes, everyone alive does. and what is this lady's excuse? she had to take care of her sick child (pneumonia). just how long was this poor child sick? the entire course? has she heard of a doctor visit? and most teachers will let u do extra credit work and even give u the assignments to take home and do. what ever. she needs to let it go, and as far as suing or whatever legal measures they want to proceed with: i hope that everyperson who sues this school - in the future when they make any mistakes, themselves get - sued.

i feel there are more important worries in the world to worry over.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I had a case of pnemonia that destroyed my school year.

That can be a very brutal disease sometimes.

Its been 10 years and I"M STILL in recovery from what it did to me.

(but finally almost done recovering mind you)

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I'm not sure about filing a complaint, but she has a good reason to be angry. I mean, I would be. It was a stupid mistake though.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The world is full of people just waiting to be offended. Its obvious it was a mistake if an apology can't repair it then I suggest the person grows a spine. The fuss she has caused has served to advertise her failing grades more than just the email.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
The world is full of people just waiting to be offended. Its obvious it was a mistake if an apology can't repair it then I suggest the person grows a spine. The fuss she has caused has served to advertise her failing grades more than just the email.

Hear hear!!!

I swear the size of the hoohaa being made is as if the SCHOOL directed the move of sending to all.

Ugh.

Nice point on the advertising

Misfit

top topics

join