It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

prophecy or timetravel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
John Titor's time travel story have just gotten that much closer;

quote;
You can pop back in time and have a look around, but you cannot do anything that will alter the present you left behind.
The new model, which uses the laws of quantum mechanics, gets rid of the famous paradox surrounding time travel.
news.bbc.co.uk...
/quote

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hmmm...very interesting! I wonder how many problems would happen if this actually made it...

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Um, maybe I read the bbc article wrong but doesn't this actually help to prove John's way back machine story is crapola?

Basically, if John's present is a determined certainty, if he traveled back in time to retrieve a machine that would change his future it wouldn't be allowed. He'd never find the machine always one step behind because traveling back in time to stop his future from happening would cause havok on the lives of those existing after John's "tragedy".

He cannot go back in time and kill the hundreds of thousands of people being born in his present and post apocolyptic past.

Also, it contradicts John's time travel technology which has him hopping from one universe into the past of another and then the future of another completely seperate universe.

The argument he uses for that being there is only a 1 to 2 percent difference in these time lines which is a ridiculous statement.

If you map a course on foot from los angeles to las vegas and when you arrive you find that you are 2% off from your destination, you'd be a couple to thirty miles away at most.

Plotting a course from the earth to the mars and your 2% off in your calculations, youre probably dead.

Now, a 1 to 2 percent difference in a whole universe is exponentially larger. A one to two percent difference in a universe is litterally the difference between life and death, a universe that is two percent divergent from ours could mean no life ever evolved on earth.

Am I wrong here, any scientists want to tell me where I made a mistake?

None of this takes anything away from the excellent find on the article mind you, very cool and I look forward to reading more about this theory.

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
1. The article doesn't explain how you can time travel. It just says what you can or can't do.

2. Titor presented the parallel universe theory. He didn't just go back in time, he went back to another worldline.

3. The article also doesn't specify how you can't change the past. It says if you try to kill someone, you wouldn't be allowed to. But who or what is going to stop you?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Just put God into your equation and you will see time travel possible and not necessarily premitted by God. Almighty God is outside of time existing in eternity. Any possible changes in the past that can be made will not be allowed by God.

Ka-duh!

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
You know that God can still make changes anywhere, because time does not exist when you are a spirit. So if you are to make a evil change in the past you would still be watched and judged.

Originally posted by TC Mike
Just put God into your equation and you will see time travel possible and not necessarily premitted by God. Almighty God is outside of time existing in eternity. Any possible changes in the past that can be made will not be allowed by God.

Ka-duh!

You cant say that time travel would be restricted by God. You don't know what God would allow considering that because it never says anything about time travel in the scripture itself.

[edit on 25-7-2005 by phantomviewer]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I've always kind of thought along these lines; that there is some 'force' out there that will prevent you from altering the future due to some action you do in the past as a result of time travel. For example, lets say you go back to get the winning lottery number, but just as you get ready to buy the lottery ticket, you stumble which delays your arrival at the ticket machine just long enough for the actual winner to step in front of you and purchase the winning ticket.

new topics

top topics

join