It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada has more oil than the Sauds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This was on Neal Cavuto today. In Canada, they have one of the largest reserves of oil sand in the world. Oil sand is just oil, sand, and dirt mixed together. All that is required to get it out is to mix it with water and stir. It floats to the top, and from their they can lift it or filter it out.

Currently they reserves are at 160 billion barrels. That is about 100 billion barrels behind the Sauds. But they are aggressively mining the region, which is about the size of Florida, and pursuing faster refinement techniques that will put the reserves to close to a trillion.

So my question to all the Bush haters is that if the Iraq War was all about oil, why didn't we take over Canada, a far richer oil country, than Iraq?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Who needs to invade oil-rich nations who are in good favor with the USA?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
What you talking aboot, eh?

Isn't Canada part of/same thing as America?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Wait. I don't get it. Canada is a foreign country. Other companies than Bush own that oil. So why don't they go after it? They have a ton of more oil there, plus they will make more money because they won't have to transport it?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Yes, yes.

Lovely oil sand. Read this article by the the crew at sfgate:

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2005/05/22/MNG46CMUPL60.DTL

Some of the major points are:

1. Most expensive, most polluting source of oil.

2. Four barrels of crude oil requires burning the equivalent of a fifth barrel.

3. Huge amounts of greenhouse gases emitted.

4. About 20 percent of the oil-sand deposits lie close enough to the surface that they can be strip-mined, ...But as these pits are depleted, companies will be forced to go after deeper deposits. Those are extracted by a process known as "in situ," ......In-situ work is much more expensive than open-pit mining, requiring about four times as much natural gas to create the steam.

5. Oil sands process is inefficient. Two tons of sand = 1 barrel.

6. 1 barrel = Greenhouse gas emissions of four cars in a day.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I don't get it. Businesses are thriving off it and investing billions of dollars into the new technology.

If your facts were right, why are the producing barrels of oil today? Why is there oil reserve at 1 trillion barrels?

Also they showed the process of seperating it on TV. They put it in a jar, poured water on it, stirred it up, and scooped the oil from the top. All the dirt and sand sunk to the bottom.

What's up?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   

I don't get it.

Read the article then, before you post your reply.

Businesses are thriving off it and investing billions of dollars into the new technology.

I'd hardly say thriving. Read the article. It is more a case of desperate measure for desperate times. Even the most dirty and expensive methods are getting a look in now that oil is at over $50 a barrel.

If your facts were right

I think they are more plausable than your facts. If in fact it was as easy as you claim, the US would be all over you by now.

Also they showed the process of seperating it on TV. They put it in a jar, poured water on it, stirred it up, and scooped the oil from the top. All the dirt and sand sunk to the bottom.

Well, you would have to take your jar and scoop another 2 tons or so of that tar, treat it and scoop out the "oil" from the top. 2 tons will give you a barrel. Then that sludge you have extracted will have to be treated and cracked in order to make any use out of it. If you can do this for $25 a barrel, you have a job!!

To top it all, the fuel oil you would produce is far dirtier and polluting than the oil coming from the Middle East.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy
What you talking aboot, eh?

Isn't Canada part of/same thing as America?

Watch it Pal!!!

They couldn't invade us. Last time they tried that they lost their white house!!

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Hey buddy, just messing with you.

You wouldn't go and invade them again and save us all a world of hassle??

Edit: Removed big quote violation

[edit on 25-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The United States gets about 17% of it's entire supply from Canada.
That is more than you import from any other nation.

The United States also sucks about 13% of it's supply out of Mexico, and about 11% out of Venezuela. If you include Columbia and Equador, that brings the total to around 46% that comes from your next-door neighbors.

Even my old cat won't crap where he eats. So don't suggest invading Canada for her oil, the U.S. can buy what they need at a fair market price and it will cost a lot less in the long run.

Canada is loved the world over. We may not have our own military, but we have lots of friends......

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Canada has more oil than the Sauds

I live in Alberta, Canada, and I've heard that we actually have more oil in Alberta alone than the entire Middle East. The difference is that a lot of our oil is in the oilsands in the northern section of the province, which is harder to get out of the ground than oil in the mideast. We do have oil that is easy to get out of the ground, too, but we've used a lot of those sources up.

As for why the US won't invade Canada, think of the international repercussions. Everyone likes Canada
Seriously, the international outcry if the US (or any nation) touched Canada would be huge. And we don't have a fanatical dictator running our country, and no one can possibly accuse us of hoarding WMDs or turning a blind eye to terrorism. Basically, not even Bush could fabricate an excuse to go to war with us. Plus, Canada is perfectly happy to sell its oil to the US without a fight, whereas the US and Iraq were not exactly on good speaking terms.

And, if you value your White House, you won't bug us again. We torched it in the War of 1812, and we'll do it again if provoked

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   
This post brought to you by the Society For The Duplication Of Draconic ATS Threads.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by DragonsDemesne]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
All you need to do is drill down a few thousand feet in Saudi Arabia to find oil. Canada there is a meticulous proccess to extract anything from the tar sands.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Why would the U.S. invade Canada over some hard to extract oil, when there is more than a trillion barrels of hard to extract oil sitting in Utah?

Underground deposits on 16,500 square miles in the Uinta Basin of eastern Utah, the Piceance Basin of northwest Colorado and southwest Wyoming's Green River Basin are estimated to contain more than 1 trillion barrels of crude oil in the form of oil-saturated shale rock and sand, according to the U.S. Department of Energy, but extracting it presents technological, logistical and economic challenges.

www.standard.net...

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
And the gulf, and Alaska...

Canada can keep their oil, they'll need it for all the middle eastern immigrants that are and will continue to flock there... It's a tax haven, and they know people won't racially profile them because of their belief in Allah.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
yeah im a canadian eh... and the oil sands are located in alberta canadas most oil enriched province... apparently the demand for this type of oil is extremely high they are asking for 100000 more workers by 2007, btw the oil that is refined needs a special refining process as its considered heavy crude.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Canada can keep their oil, they'll need it for all the middle eastern immigrants that are and will continue to flock there... It's a tax haven,

ROFLMAO!
Since when is Canada , 1. A top destination for Moslem Immigrants (it isn't even close france is #1 in that category) and 2. when have we EVER been a Tax Haven!

and they know people won't racially profile them because of their belief in Allah.

Tell that to the Moslems currently being held in the Don Jail down the street from me. Some have been held since shortly after 9/11... On the surface we pretend we don't racially profile people, but when it gets down to the individual officer and lead investigator you take ALL factors into account including things like Skin Colour, Faith etc etc. It's a tried and tested policiing technique that will never die. Some people may bitch and whine about it and publicly it's demonized but behind the scenes it goes on all the time.

[edit on 26-7-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The U.S. has pretty much already invaded our country, not militarily but economically. Over the past 10 years the liberals have sold our sovreignty to the states throuhg our oil, hydro, and fresh water. and thats what we really have, the oh so fresh water which in 50-100 years will be 10X more valuable than oil.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I touched on this in my thread awhile back.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good time to flock to alberta.

Unfortunately I live in saskatchewan. The rest of canada will never benefit from alberta oil.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
I touched on this in my thread awhile back.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good time to flock to alberta.

Unfortunately I live in saskatchewan. The rest of canada will never benefit from alberta oil.

I live in Alberta hahahahahahahahahaha

All your oil are belong to us... oh, whoops, that's dubya's line...
/sarcasm

Alberta has resisted all attempts by the federal gov't to divert oil wealth to other parts of Canada. Incredibly high oil prices have been the #1 factor in Alberta eliminating the deficit (and very nearly the debt, now!) of the province. The thing is, unless you work in the oil business, nobody in Alberta is any better off because of it. Most of us just sit there and get gouged for 92c a litre at the pump.

I saw a political cartoon once where all of Alberta's oil wells were dried up, and everyone was unemployed. The caption read "Alberta in 15 years: The next Newfoundland" (referring to Newfoundland's high unemployment rate due to the drastically reduced fishing industry). Alberta has much too high a dependence on oil revenue. Without it, quite frankly, this province would be totally screwed financially.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join