It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superheroes Really DO Exist!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Most superheroes created by Marvel or DC have similar backgrounds. Some had super powers (Spiderman), others did not (Punisher), but they faced a traumatic situation. In Spidy's case, his uncle was killed. The Punisher watched his family get murdered (I think, it's been a while since I've read that). Following the traumatic event, the soon-to-be Superhero withdraws from society, makes a decision, and ends up fighting for justice in their city/country/planet/galaxy despite risks and in some cases even being hated.

We all know these are just stories, though, right? Maybe not. Superheroes really do exist. What constitutes a superhero? A hero is someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty to selflessly put another's welfare before their own. A superhero is one who makes this a career.

May I present John Walsh, host of America's Most Wanted. On July 27th, 1981, his picture perfect life with his wife and 6-year-old son, Adam, came to a crashing halt with the abduction of his son. He worked closely with police to try to find the scumbag who abducted his son, but really felt helpless and unable to do anything. Eventually, they found his son, but he had been murdered. There was a primary suspect who was likely guilty, but that suspect died in jail (serving for other crimes), taking all the answers with him before he could be called to task for his suspected actions. John Walsh had no rock hard idea who did this to his boy, and no justice for the fate of his boy would ever be served.

John Walsh was faced with a decision. Would he pick up the broken pieces of his shattered life and try to move on, or would he go forward and ensure others wouldn't have to suffer the same fate his family did. Walsh chose the path of the superhero.

He started with the government. He battled through beurocratic red tape and legislative nightmares to be a key player in the creation of the Missing Children Act of 1982 and the Missing Children's Assistance Act of 1984. He also started the Adam Walsh Child Resource Center in memory of his son, which pushes for legislative reform.

The battle he began waging caught the eye of some people. As is the case with most superheroes, a bit of luck is always involved. ABC ended up airing a show about what he went through and did as a result called Adam. A few years later in 1986, they aired Adam: His Song Continues. John Walsh was then offered his superpower -- access to all the people of America and across the world. He was given the show, America's Most Wanted, which is still, today, the most popular real crime fighting show out there.

Every week, John Walsh would take on those criminals the FBI had dubbed our nations most wanted fugatives. Constantly being threatened by the criminal element, he continues to bring justice to those who would try to avoid it. He has also, through that show, saved countless children from the hands of abductors.

I've seen interview after interview where some criminal is sitting behind bars and the interviewee asks them when they knew they were going to get caught. The answer? "When I saw myself on America's Most Wanted, I knew the running was over." AMW has become the reality of what Superman was in the movies (never read the comics
). When Sup puts his eyes on you, the running is over. When AMW put's you in its crosshairs, your run is over.

John Walsh is, by all definitions, a true American superhero. Turns out they do exist.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
i totally agree with you. mr. walsh is a superhero. am i wrong or did our hero also through all the turmoil and sadness loose his wife through divorce? i thought i read that somewhere maybe i'm wrong. anyway i have always admired him and watched amw whenever i could. this man took unberable sorrow and turned it into unbeatable strength.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Nope, he's still living in Washington DC with her and their three kids. Although a devorce really would have fit the mold! Glad he didn't have to go through that, too.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Another sad part of the story is that John Walsh himself was originally a suspect in his own son's abduction and eventual murder. Although he had every reason in the world to, he never became bitter. His dedication to our society has been measured in captures of wanted criminals, but the lives he touched, and even saved, will never be measured. We will never truly know how many potential victims went unharmed because of his efforts. We will never know how many parents held their children just a little closer, ultimately shielding them from danger, because of the words and story of John Walsh and his son.

He's true hero because his ultimate contribution will never be known. It is just too great to measure.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
JJ, that was some good essaying!

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
He's actually expand beyond just the foundation and super-popular television show, too. I didn't remember this until I heard it yesterday, but it was also the thing that got me thinking about making this post. Ahh, irony.

Here in Chicago, every night at 6:30 on WLS 890 AM John Walsh pops on the radio and profiles one of the numerous scumbags he's trying to catch. I usually catch it if I'm leaving work around 6 because that's when Hannity is played here in Chicago, and I like Sean
I'm assuming he makes those spots on radio stations across America. He also has the website with the entire library of wanted folks. A nice little thing to browse through if you're mad at your neighbor -- who knows what you might find

new topics

top topics

join