It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You're so gross!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Do you know what is "Grossology"?

Well it seems that is the new way to teach our children the nasty things that our body does.

Did you know the human body produces enough mucus each day to fill a quart-size mayonnaise jar? Yuck!

When I was growing up this thinks were not topics of conversation between children in schools. It was no polite.

But now has become a new way for children to learn about nasty body functions.

Not exactly polite conversation but exactly the point of "Grossology: The (Impolite) Science of the Human Body," the children's science exhibit that's on a three-year tour of the United States and Canada. You can see it through August 21 at Atlanta's Fernbank Museum of Natural History and at Discovery Place in Charlotte, North Carolina, through September 5.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Well children are more interested in the bodily functions and gross facts, so I suppose it's easier to teach them.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Im just getting over a cold, and have definatly been producing several mayonnaise jars of mucus per day.lol

"Skin climbing wall"

Climbing a wall of warts and scabs would gross me out completely!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I know that is certain things that children should learn to understand their body.

But making it into a science all on its own I like making children go out in the yard and start calling names and embarrassing each other.

I guess been polite is a thing of the past.

Specially if they are running a cold.

I would go and see the exhibition if it comes close enough to my town.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
So pretty much this is giving a name to the teaching of useless information about things the body does?

I dont think I would go to this, to nasty for me.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
While it's true that (US) society places less emphasis on public etiquette, I don't necessarily think that this is a bad thing. Public propriety, like a lot of cultural things, moves around like a pendulum swinging. From the staunch morality of Victorian times, to the much looser mores of the 1960s-1980s. We're currently on an upswing, so expect your grandchildren (or great-grandchildren) to grow up in a world much more bound by rules of proper behavior. Their grand- or great-grand-kids will move the other direction in turn.

Stuff like Grossology, though, is a great way to get young kids interested in biology. They like it because it's a safe "taboo" subject, but they remember what they've learned as well. Were the exhibits done simply for purient interest then I'd have a much worse opinion of it.

new topics

top topics

join