It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle East gets first superheroes (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
AK Comics is based in Egypt and has produced a line of superheros and comic books specifically tailored for the middle eat. THe heroes are the protectors of the region some 55 years after a devastating war between two superpowers nearly wrecked it.

news.bbc.co.uk
What is notable about Middle East Heroes is that the female models are at least as powerful as their male counterparts. Jalila is most powerful character in terms of abilities.
He added that this strategy had been well-received, especially amongst women, who read the comic books in disproportionately large numbers.

The books have also managed to remain relatively uncensored throughout the region - where the authorities tend to strictly control publication.
Meanwhile many of the stories reflect events in the modern world in this key region, especially the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. The heroes' enemies include the United Liberation Force and the Zios Army, who are "still clinging to their extreme views". Both enemies want complete control the City of All Faiths.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Comics books have a history of being somewhat subversive and of pushing the limits, especially in the old days. Its good to see that they are having a similar effect in this case, with respect to the equality of women. It also looks like its rendering of women is rather provacative too, which is another thing comics are known for.

Its distrubing to see that the Bad Guys are, well, obviously, the United States and the Jews, but perhaps its not surprising, and perhaps its not really any worse than Jack Bauer fighting iranians and syrians all the time, or no different than Captian America fighting the nazi bred Red Skull.

I notice another 'bad guy' is a member of the "New Underworld", which might be a reference to the New World Order too. Also, if you look at this sample page, the bad guys are dark insidious puppet masters, shadow characters, crooked executives and corporations and secretive monsters. This is a good example of how comics can be relevatory of a societies psyche.

Related News Links:
www.akcomics.com

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Intresting. I wonder if they'll be trying to sell that stuff over here as I can see it becoming quite popular especially in some of the more anti-us western countries like France which also has a large Moslom population. I gotta buy me some as I smell a collectors item is being created as we speak
Man I wish my dad kept all his old Superman Comics, they would be worth a fortune nowadays.

Now as long as these books don't call for Jihad or something then I'm all for it, and the empowerment of Women is quite surprising to me at least. I remember all too well how much Females were repress over there, maybe this will get the younger generations to start thinking on their own instead of well you know the alternative, religous inductrination.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
As a joke, is Captain America going to make a guest appearance?

join