It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jurors May Consider Past Allegations, Judge Rules (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Rodney S. Melville, the judge in Michael Jackson's child molestation trial, said that jurors should consider past allegations, as long as they are proven to be true. This was one of several conclusions reached Tuesday, when Jackson was not in court, by the judge as he and lawyers tried to work out instructions to give to the jurors before they begin the deliberations, which will most likely happen this week. Mellville plans to finish hearing arguements from the lawyers Wenesday morning, then bring the jurors back to the courtroom in the afternoon to give them their instructions. Closing arguments will begin Thursday. Another approved instruction addressed the importance of the documentary "Living With Michael Jackson," in which the then to-be accuser appeared with Michael Jackson. Jackson admitted that he lets children sleep in his bed with him, but "in an innocent, non-sexual way". Judge Melville said he would tell the jurors to consider the alleged past acts if they would show intent on Jackson's part with regard to the crimes with which he is actually charged. Jackson, 46, is charged with molesting the then-13-year-old boy in February or March 2003, giving him wine and conspiring to hold his family captive to get them to rebut a damaging documentary about the pop star. Michael Jackson, 46, has been charged with molesting the then-13-year-old boy in February or March 2003, giving him alcohol and conspiring to hold his family captive to get them to disprove a damaging documentary about the pop star.

aolsvc.news.aol.com
The judge in Michael Jackson's child molestation trial said jurors may consider allegations of past wrongdoing against the pop star as long as they conclude the allegations are true.

The decision was one of several reached Tuesday by Judge Rodney S. Melville as he and lawyers in the case tried to work out instructions the jury will receive before beginning deliberations, likely this week. Jackson was not in court.

Melville planned to finish hearing arguments from the lawyers Wednesday morning, then bring the jurors back into court in the afternoon to give them their instructions. He scheduled closing arguments to begin Thursday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find that this is very unfair to Michael Jackson. He did not have a childhood that many of us had or have. His acts may be bizzare, yes, but I think he is doing them with an innocent mindset, with no malicious or sexual intent. This has also had a detrimental effect on his record sales. Before all this controversy arose, he would sell 90 million copies of his records. Now, only 9 million sold after the molestation charges . The only reason that the charges arose was because the mother of the boy is only conserned about money nand doesn't care how or where to get it from.

[edit on 6/1/2005 by TheRanchMan]

[edit on 6/1/2005 by TheRanchMan]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Sorry I had to vote no on this. Our Fearless leader SO had asked for no coverage on the Jackson case.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I voted yes, for no other reason but to encourage individual thought.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I vote neither yes nor no, but in the interests of providing the facts, I should state that the judge wasn't taking any initiative here. The law states that in any sex offense-related case, previous convictions or proven instances of abuse are fair to introduce into trial. The law is in favor of the victim in these cases.

-koji K.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

al·le·ga·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (l-gshn)

n.
3. A statement asserting something without proof:

allegation - assertion without proof.

If it is proved it is no longer an allegation.

What kind of numbskull is this judge?

This judge needs to open a dictionary.

This instruction may mislead some of the less sharp members of the jury to accept unproven allegations.

All allegations are by definition unproven.

edit:
What's next? Rumors, hear-say?

[edit on 1-6-2005 by slank]

top topics

join