It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Released After Serving 35 Years For Stealing B&W Television (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Having served 35 years for the theft of a 19-inch black & white television, 65 year old Junior Allen is now free. Once outside of Orange Correctional Center, Mr. Allen told supporters that he wouldn't be truly happy until he was outside of the state of North Carolina. Back in 1970, Allen, a then 30 year-old migrant farm worker with a previous criminal history,was sentenced to life in prison for 2nd degree burglary of the television.

www.msnbc.msn.com
HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. - After 35 years in prison for stealing a black-and-white television set, Junior Allen is a free man.
Allen, 65, walked out of prison Friday, ending a case that attracted widespread attention because he remained in jail while other inmates convicted of murder, rape or child molestation were released.

“I’m glad to be out,” Allen told supporters outside Orange Correctional Center. “I’ve done too much time for what I did. I won’t be truly happy until I see a sign that says I’m outside of North Carolina.”

Allen was a 30-year-old migrant farm worker from Georgia with a criminal history that included burglaries and a violent assault when he sneaked into an unlocked house and stole a 19-inch black-and-white television worth $140.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am happy Mr. Allen has finally been set free. In my opinion he has served well beyond the amount of time warranted for such an offense. May he find peace and happiness in his remaining years.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.nbc17.com
www.newsobserver.com
abcnews.go.com

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Thank you for voting on the news submission.

You get my vote
and your source is good!
Im all about ahrd punishments for the pettiest of crimes, it's the only way set the example to others, but 35 years is way too much for his crime.

Some state records say Allen roughed up the 87-year-old woman who lived there, but he was not convicted of assault.

Now if this is true, I could understand why he got life and he would deserve it if he did do this.

I hope he lives a good life and gets a chance to do things he lost out on.

[edit on 29/5/2005 by SportyMB]

join