It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World needs more than sea walls to stop floods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

NIJMEGEN, Netherlands (Reuters) - Building higher and stronger dykes will not be enough to protect the world's low-lying areas against rising sea levels and global warming, a conference heard on Wednesday.
Countries should also develop disaster management to raise safety and awareness, officials told an international conference on flood defenses in the Netherlands, one of the world's lowest-lying countries.

Many scientists fear rising temperatures, blamed mainly on heat-trapping gases from burning fossil fuels, will melt ice caps, raise sea levels by almost a meter (three feet) by the end of this century and bring more floods, droughts and storms.

Oh crap. This is bad news. When will we find an alternate fuel source?

Every1 go now and buy an electric car no matter how crappy they are...

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I dont want an electric car either I want to contribute to global warming and make the hole in the ozone layer bigger NZ is still to cold.

Whats the big deal? Who cares if a few poor nations are lost to the waves? At best first world countries waste aid money on corrupt governmnets at worst these countries arent capable of self governce. Mayabe if corrupation wasnt rifle thrid world governments would look for soloutions rather then siting on there hands.

The ex pat communities will end up living in the likes of Aust & NZ. I dont want to offerend anyone this is just my point of view.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
You're kidding, right?

Originally posted by xpert11
Who cares if a few poor nations are lost to the waves?

- You do know that all the world's major cities (rich and poor) are all built in low-lying areas and are at great threat from rising sea levels, hmm?

At best first world countries waste aid money on corrupt governmnets at worst these countries arent capable of self governce. Mayabe if corrupation wasnt rifle thrid world governments would look for soloutions rather then siting on there hands.

- There is but one world.
Whilst you may care little for the people in those third world countries you might at least notice that the world's lungs (the great forests) are mainly situated there.

The ex pat communities will end up living in the likes of Aust & NZ.

- What makes you think either are going to be especially favourable to habitation on such a massive scale with rising temperatures (ie greater and growing desertification) and rising sea-levels (which affects the underground water tables no matter what you do with sea walls)?

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
You're kidding, right?

Nope I have a very cynical view of the world.

- You do know that all the world's major cities (rich and poor) are all built in low-lying areas and are at great threat from rising sea levels, hmm?

I am aware of that fact and the countries that suffer from less corrupation and have more $$ will have the means deal with rising sea levels.

Then you will be aware that that those countries need to find soulations then selvs mayabe we should stop giving aid money but if that happened the world might actually give a toss about the people in geniune need.

- There is but one world.
Whilst you may care little for the people in those third world countries you might at least notice that the world's lungs (the great forests) are mainly situated there.

I have noticed that to and once again first world countries waste aid money notice how the Amazon is disappering? We cant force these people to stop bulldozing the Amazoning. Even if rising sea levels dont flood the Amazon humans will wipe it out by themselvs.

- What makes you think either are going to be especially favourable to habitation on such a massive scale with rising temperatures (ie greater and growing desertification) and rising sea-levels (which affects the underground water tables no matter what you do with sea walls)?

My guess is we will look towards GE & GM crops as a part of the soulation that is if governments over come excessive caution.

We all say we care about poor people and the environment but in the next instance we buy coffee and other products that harm the environment and do nothing for poor people.
If first world countries find the means of exploiting natural resouces in those countries then people might care under the pretences of helping people.

top topics

join