It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gen. Patton's Actual Speech to the 3rd Army

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Everybody remembered the famous opening scene in the film, "Patton" which the actor George C. Scott (great actor, RIP) as Patton came up and delivered a rousing speech to the audience viewing the film. Well, that was the Hollywood version, somewhat tamer and sanitized for the general audience. The real General Patton would get a chuckle out of it.

It was based on the real, actual speech that General Patton delivered to the Third Army the day before D-Day, the great Allied invasion of Europe, in 1944. The speech itself was nowhere near as tame and sanitized as the Hollywood version.
It was vintage Patton, really down to earth, brutal honest, profanity-laden, straight-to-the-guts kind! When he spoke to the American soldiers that day, the language of warfare, death, life and freedom flown from him.

First, read the background research on how the actual speech of General Patton came to be discovered long before the Patton film was realized: Background Research

But if you wanted to go straight to the actual speech, here's the first part:
General Patton arose and strode swiftly to the microphone. The men snapped to their feet and stood silently. Patton surveyed the sea of brown with a grim look. "Be seated", he said. The words were not a request, but a command. The General's voice rose high and clear.

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bull****. Americans love to fight, traditionally. All real Americans love the sting and clash of battle. You are here today for three reasons. First, because you are here to defend your homes and your loved ones. Second, you are here for your own self respect, because you would not want to be anywhere else. Third, you are here because you are real men and all real men like to fight. When you, here, everyone of you, were kids, you all admired the champion marble player, the fastest runner, the toughest boxer, the big league ball players, and the All-American football players. Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American."

For the rest of his great speech: Scroll down to Part II

The highlights of Patton's speech:
"The real hero is the man who fights even though he is scared. Some men get over their fright in a minute under fire. For some, it takes an hour. For some, it takes days. But a real man will never let his fear of death overpower his honor, his sense of duty to his country, and his innate manhood. Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best and it removes all that is base.

"All of the real heroes are not storybook combat fighters, either. Every single man in this Army plays a vital role. Don't ever let up. Don't ever think that your job is unimportant. Every man has a job to do and he must do it. Every man is a vital link in the great chain."

"War is a bloody, killing business. You've got to spill their blood, or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shoot them in the guts. When shells are hitting all around you and you wipe the dirt off your face and realize that instead of dirt it's the blood and guts of what once was your best friend beside you, you'll know what to do!"

General George S. Patton.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Are you trying to say this has some sort of relevance to the "war on terrorism"? And if so, how?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Are you trying to say this has some sort of relevance to the "war on terrorism"? And if so, how?

A lot of American soldiers are engaged in military operations in combating terrorism, covertly or overtly. Some of us members are American and could sure use an interesting historical perspective on Patton's real speech as opposed to the Hollywood version.

Beside RANT closed a thread on General Patton web-animation due to some bickering between members, though I hope it won't be the case in this thread.

[edit on 5/27/2005 by the_oleneo]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Americans love to fight, traditionally. All real Americans love the sting and clash of battle.

What a shame it is then that today the military can't fill it's recruiting levels because the public don't like fighting for lies that only ostracize the American public even more so from the government they should be controlling rather than an unfounded threat which is literally millions of times less likely to kill you than a car crash, cancer, heart disease, etc etc...
Looks like 'real' American's have lost their 'love' of battle and are able to see past bulls--t speaches.

Weekend Edition - Saturday, May 21, 2005 · For the past three months the Army has failed to meet its recruiting quotas, and some recruiters have been accused of signing up young men and women they knew were not qualified. The head of the army recruiting command says that recruiting these days is the toughest he's ever seen.
www.npr.org...

Speaking on behalf of the rest of the world,
. GOOD! The more the American public wakes up and stops getting involved in their administrations business because they feel it's their patriotic duty to be brain washed by a bottomless speech, the quicker the problems will be over.

Responding to a question about fighting the Iraqi resistance, Lieutenant General James N. Mattis—who is in charge of developing Marine war-fighting doctrine and tactics—said, “Actually, it’s a lot of fun to fight. You know, it’s a hell of a hoot. It’s fun to shoot some people. I’ll be right up front with you, I like brawling.
www.wsws.org...

I guess a military is only as strong as the intelligence of it's leaders, which explains alot about the current situation.

[edit on 27-5-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis
Looks like 'real' American's have lost their 'love' of battle and are able to see past bulls--t speaches.

I would say that the world can go to hell without us Americans. We could have done that in 1940.

. GOOD! The more the American public wakes up and stops getting involved in their administrations business because they feel it's their patriotic duty to be brain washed by a bottomless speech, the quicker the problems will be over.

And you think the United Nations and its peacekeeping forces can do a better job? I think not.

One last thing: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't waste your time posting here.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Well to this I say, the administrations business is OUR business and we had better wake up to it. Lets just Be thankful that someone other than you IS in charge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When was the start? I am not sure but for me this was the beginnings of the birth pangs...

OKC and WTC Bombers Met in the Philippines.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What next? Well John Doe has disappeared, everything is quiet now right? The economy is in good shape. "If it feels good , do it."

And what of our response then? Was the Tulipwalker method effective?

In 1998, the Clinton Administration demonstrated an atypically aggressive response toward terrorism after the assault on two U.S. embassies in Africa. On Aug. 7, 1998, the U.S. embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, were bombed by terrorists, leaving 258 people dead and more than 5,000 injured.

In response, the U.S. launched cruise missiles on Aug. 20, 1998, striking a terrorism training complex in Afghanistan and destroying a pharmaceutical manufacturing facility in Khartoum, Sudan, that reportedly produced nerve gas. Both targets were believed to have been financed by wealthy Islamic radical Osama bin Laden, who was allegedly behind the embassy bombings as well as an international terrorism network targeting the United States.

Yeah sure this really scared them, it scared them enough to hit again.

Four men, believed to be followers of Osama bin Laden, were convicted on May 29, 2001, for their roles in the bombing of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998. The blasts killed 224 people, including 12 Americans. Some 5,000 people were injured.
LINK

And what of TWA 800? Are you satisfied with the official explanation? No, neither am I. Was it related to the now declared war on America? We might not ever know.

The Official Notification Of The Crash

NTSB Identification: DCA96MA070

Scheduled 14 CFR 121 operation of TRANSWORLD AIRWAYS (D.B.A. TWA)

Accident occurred JUL-17-96 at EAST MORICHES, NY
Aircraft: Boeing 747, registration: N93119
Injuries: 230 Fatal.

On July 17, 1996, about 8:45pm, TWA flight 800, N93119, a Boeing
747-100, crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Long Island
shortly after takeoff from Kennedy International Airport. The airplane
was on a regularly scheduled flight to Paris, France. The initial
reports are that witnesses saw an explosion and then debris descending
to the ocean. There are no reports of the flight crew reporting a
problem to air traffic control. The airplane was manufactured in
November 1971. It has accumulated about 93,303 flight hours and 16,869
cycles. On board the airplane were 212 passengers and 18 crew members.

The airplane was destroyed and there were no survivors.

So did we learn our lesson after the first WTC bombing?

I would say not, but just who did it? Are we sure? Did Iraq have a part in it?

Ramzi Yousef's plots were the most ambitious terrorist conspiracies ever attempted against the United States. But who is he? Is he a free-lance bomber? A deranged but highly-skilled veteran of the Muslim jihad against the Soviets in Afghanistan? Is he an Arab, or of some other Middle Eastern ethnicity? Is there an organization--perhaps even a state--behind his work?

These questions have an obvious bearing not only on past events but on possible future ones as well. [2] It is important to know who Ramzi Yousef is and who his "friends" are, because if he is not just a bomber-for-hire, or an Islamic militant loosely connected to other Muslim fundamentalists, Yousef's "friends" could still prove very dangerous to the United States. It is of considerable interest, therefore, that a very persuasive case can be made that Ramzi Yousef is an Iraqi intelligence agent, and that his bombing conspiracies were meant as Saddam Hussein's revenge for the Gulf War. If so, and if, as U.S. officials strongly suspect, Baghdad still secretly possesses biological warfare agents, then we may still not have heard the last from Saddam Hussein.

LINK

And this, we should have done something more than appeal to these nice people to stop or we will tell on you. This was a DIRECT ATTACK on the United States, and yet we just let it slide.....

Seventeen sailors were killed and 39 others were injured in the blast which blew a hole in the port side of the destroyer.

Now these we all know...but Saddam had nothing to do with it right? Well, he did by proxy. He might not have ordered it, but he too didn't think that the United States would have the balls to go it alone for the most part because he knew he had that piece of # UN in his pocket.

New York World Trade Center
Total Deaths 2,792
Total Injured 2,261
Firefighter Deaths 343
Police Deaths 75
American Airlines Flight 11
WTC North Tower 92
United Airlines Flight 175
WTC South Tower 65

The Pentagon - Flight77-Flight 93
Total Deaths The Pentagon 124
Total Injured The Pentagon 76
American Airlines Flight 77
The Pentagon 64
United Airlines Flight 93
Shanksville, PA 40

I think this was very well done.

Beast, You Don’t Know My People
by Leonard Pitts Jr.
They pay me to tease shades of meaning from social and cultural issues, to provide words that help make sense of that which troubles the American soul. But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes, the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.

You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard.

What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward’s attack on our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn? Whatever it was, please know that you failed.

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a family rent by racial, cultural, political and class division, but a family nonetheless. We’re frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous energy on pop cultural minutiae – a singer’s revealing dress, a ball team, a cartoon mouse.

We’re wealthy, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of that, we walk through life with a certain sense of blithe entitlement. We are fundamentally decent, though, peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving God.

Some people – you? – think any or all of this makes us weak. You’re mistaken. Indeed, we are strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals.

Yes, we’re in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. Your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in the history of the United States and indeed, the history of the world. You’ve bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before.

But there’s a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us fall. This is the lesson Japan learned to its bitter sorrow. When roused we are righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force.

I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my people, as you, I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It also causes me to tremble with dread of the future.

In days to come, there will be recrimination and accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure allowed this to happen. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of revoking basic freedoms. We’ll go forward sobered, chastened, sad. But determined, too.
Unimaginably determined.

On this day, the family’s bickering is put on hold. As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish.

Still, I keep wondering what it was you hoped to teach us. Maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred.

If that’s the case, consider the message received. And take this message in exchange:
You don’t know my people. You don’t know what you just started. But you’re about to learn.

Link to Poem

So when one complains, says we have no right, says we are in it for the oil, that we are barbarians and kill for fun, and whatever else the Tulipwalkers can come up with, we then can go back to Patton's speech.

"War is a bloody, killing business. You've got to spill their blood, or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shoot them in the guts. When shells are hitting all around you and you wipe the dirt off your face and realize that instead of dirt it's the blood and guts of what once was your best friend beside you, you'll know what to do!"

[size=10]It still applies.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by edsinger]

[edit on 28-5-2005 by edsinger]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Bump up per request.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Oleneo,

Originally posted by the_oleneo
One last thing: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't waste your time posting here.

So I take it we will not hear from you again?

Cheers

BHR

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I think its time some of the new people see just how right Patton was..

Its still hits the mark.

[edit on 13-8-2005 by edsinger]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Its been a year, and the left still has not changed their focus of appeasement. There is now talk of leaving Iraq with a job not complete. The elections are over, and the country has spoken.

Or has it?

It would seem that most of the American public doesn't really follow what is going on in the world. They do not see the threat in which we are fighting and how it relates to Iraq. Why? Well for the most part the press has failed to do its job yet again. It only reports an agenda, it dumbs down the public

Maybe its time for some to read what Patton said one more time...

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Patton, simply put, is one of my favorite, and in my opinion most interesting historical personalities ever to grace the earth. Loved the film, and the follow up reading I did on him made me wish I had a chance to meet this man. As blunt and brash as he was, he still had a sense of humility. I wouldnt have wanted to face him on the battlefield.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.”
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week."
“I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If only we had leaders like this these days. Political Correctness has run amok..

top topics

join