It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI asks Congress for extraordinary powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I understand .. the CIA pushes for democratic reforms abroad, and the FBI pushes for democratic reforms at home.. It all makes sense!

news.yahoo.com.../nm/20050524/pl_nm/security_patriot_dc_5

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The
FBI on Tuesday asked the U.S. Congress for sweeping new powers to seize business or private records, ranging from medical information to book purchases, to investigate terrorism without first securing approval from a judge.

Valerie Caproni, FBI general counsel, told the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee her agency needed the power to issue what are known as administrative subpoenas to get information quickly about terrorist plots and the activities of foreign agents.

Civil liberties groups have complained the subpoenas, which would cover medical, tax, gun-purchase, book purchase, travel and other records and could be kept secret, would give the FBI too much power and could infringe on privacy and free speech.

"This type of subpoena authority would allow investigators to obtain relevant information quickly in terrorism investigations, where time is often of the essence," Caproni testified.
Democrats on the committee expressed concerns and pressed Caproni to give examples of cases where the lack of such powers had hampered an investigation.
Caproni said she could not cite a case where a bomb had exploded because the FBI lacked this power, but that did not mean one could not explode tomorrow.

[edit on 24-5-2005 by Moretti]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I haven't read the first Patriot Act in its entirety and now they have a second Patriot Act.

Um, I stopped going to the library when I found out they could grab my library book records. I became nervous when I felt they may be checking out my surfing habits. I become even more nervous when I'm told that I wouldn't be told if they were or were not checking my surfing habits and or my library record.

I totally support the terror war. I do not support any confusion between the word American criminal and American terroist. I don't support a "secret police." I don't support not being told about bills being passed in congress whether they are passed secretly or overtly.

I hate the fact that the only way to know about what is going on in the legislature is by being a lawyer or being elected to serve in it.

join