It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Junk "future world prison"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Hello all!..... this post is by far no "new" news........but is posted to get your opinion on a growing problem check it out!

You wouldn't think that humanity has been this busy in space - but there are over nine thousand satellites and other large objects in orbit around the Earth, along with many smaller objects. These objects include spent vehicle upper stages, separation bolts, lens caps, momentum flywheels, nuclear reactor cores, auxiliary motors and launch vehicle fairings. Material degradation due to atomic oxygen, solar heating and solar radiation produces particulate matter. Solid rocket motors used to boost satellite orbits leave motor casings, nozzle slag, solid-fuel fragments and exhaust cone bits. More than 124 satellite breakups have been verified; many more that are believed to have occurred; these are generally caused by explosions and collisions. Satellites or other objects in orbit higher than 700 kilometers will stay there for hundreds of years; LEO satellites have an average working life of just five years.

I have also heard that most images of this are cleaned up when pictures that are released to the public, in other words edited photos. Cover up from space objects ranging from "UFO" to man made "Orbit" cotastrophy. This news isnt anything new of course. The point of this is to make people realize whats happening. I beleive they are slowy creating there own earth "prison". Sooner or later they will no longer be able to explorer with out creating more junk by more collisions. Decide for your self if we are being irresponsible, when it comes to this growing problem!

Here are a few computer made images, some may have or havent seen, to get a perspective of this fanominon. These images were created of objects already pinpointed.

1.)LEO image:
"LEO stands for low Earth orbit and is the region of space within 2,000 km of the Earth's surface. It is the most concentrated area for orbital debris.

2.)GEO image:
"The GEO images are images generated from a distant oblique vantage point to provide a good view of the object population in the geosynchronous region (around 35,785 km altitude). Note the larger population of objects over the northern hemisphere is due mostly to Russian objects in high-inclination, high-eccentricity orbits.

3.)GEO Polar image:
The GEO Polar images are generated from a vantage point above the north pole, showing the concentrations of objects in LEO and in the geosynchronous region.

I have found some info on what they "so call" plan to do about it here.....
(lol)......
"The Plan"

Here are some other links on this if you want to check into it your self.......
www.space.com...
www.un.org...
news.bbc.co.uk...

Again non of this is not any "new" news, but like I said befor... this post is to see what people think about this fanominon..... thanks for your participation

[edit on 22-5-2005 by ZeroKauz]

[edit on 22-5-2005 by ZeroKauz]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I dont really see the problem... All it will do is create a need to handle it: High tech protection plates, magnetic shield technology or quick response space cannons (ie shatter whatever is coming towards you).

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I agree it's not as big a problem as it seems, for all those Sats in lower orbit the non-radioactive ones can be safely de-orbited and the reactors should be place in a much higher orbit. Better sensors will be needed that's for sure. It may look like a shield but remember there is alot of space between each dot, like miles of space.

apc

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Agreed it is a problem but as already stated it is one we will simply adapt to and deal with. We got cold at night, so we were forced to harness fire. We couldnt walk across our growing cities, so we were forced to invent automobiles. If we cant get into orbit without smacking into leftover hunks of MIR, well we'll just be forced to find a way to eliminate the problem or protect against it.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I would also agree at this time it isnt a problem. If you go to this link you will see that it is becoming a problem. I also understand that yes they will have to find ways to prevent this............thats why this post is here. If you go here you will see that it is becoming an issue and has been for awhile now.
Go Here
Also wanted to thank you guys for your opinion.

new topics

top topics

join