It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Condemns Alleged U.S. Abuse of Afghans (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Once again the US is coming under fire for prisoner abuse on the War on Terrorism. White House and Pentagon talking heads state that they are once again shocked that these incidents happened and will, of course, investigate.

news.yahoo.com
The United Nations Sunday condemned as "utterly unacceptable" the alleged abuse of detainees at the main U.S. base in Afghanistan and called on the American military to allow an investigation by Afghan human rights officials.

The world body was responding to a New York Times article Friday reporting that poorly trained U.S. soldiers had repeatedly abused detainees. Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Saturday called for tough punishment for the abusers, and for the United States to hand over all Afghans still in its custody.

The report cited a 2,000-page confidential file on the Army's criminal investigation into the deaths of two Afghans at the Bagram base north of the capital, Kabul, in December 2002.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Being that I was once (and in some ways still) a Pentagon mouthpiece I still smirk when something like this comes over the wire.

I wonder how many in america are numb to stories such as this one, and how long this willful ignorance will last.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This story really makes me laugh. The UN is quick to condemn anyone else yet they cannot even control their own troops.

I do not condone any abuse be it by Americans or UN sanctioned troops, however the UN should not talk until they can clean up their own act first.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

the UN should not talk until they can clean up their own act first.

Everyone and every institution is flawed in some way or another - so by your terms, no one should ever criticize anyone or anything, or attempt to right wrongs.

IMO - it's process that's important. And the UN, at least, provides an international process accessible to most nations.

.added phrase

[edit on 22-5-2005 by soficrow]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Hey, the world is full of hypocrites these days.

The U.N. was also taking bribes from Saddam Hussein (food-for-oil scandal anyone?)..

Saddam promised them oil in exchange for their anti-war approach.

Hmm..same thing with the French, German, and Russian governments. All getting about 30 billion dollars annually from good 'ol Saddam..

The world is corrupt, and it isn't just the U.S.

-wD

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Absolute power corrupts absolutely...

The soldiers know they are not subject to international law, nor are the prisoners subject to Geneva convetion, so they can do what they want...

On second thoughts: The privates know they are not subject to international law, nor are the prisoners subject to Geneva convetion, so they THINK they can do what they want... until there is a media outcry, and the privates are sentenced and the officers are acquitted.

new topics

top topics

join