It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fighting?....good or bad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
well...ill probably come in for a lot of flack (again) for this post...but.....ask me if im bothered?.........go on ask me...........ask.......

Nah...i dont care,

fighting.......right...its not a nice thing to witness violence between two or more people but sometimes its nessesary.

for example......big guy bullies smaller guy......outsider takes offence to libertys being taken by bully and adminsters severe amounts of pain to bully......ensuring that big bully has to be taken away in ambulance due to the fact its hard to pick up your broken teeth with your broken hands?

ok....so...what im wondering is how many of you believe violence doesnt solve violence?......i believe it does.

the whole of mans history on planet earth has tales of the morally strong standing up for the physically weak.

i still live by the rule.......'give em the chance to get up and apologise...or put em down for a while longer'

i cant stand the freaking 'do good' brigade saying...."you should have reasoned with him verbally...violence solves nothing...."

opinions?

regards.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
VIOLENCE SOLVES NOTHING! Except when it does, like WWI, WWII, American Revolution War, Civil War, War of 1812, Spanish American, Mexican American, and that is just America.

Fighting good, under certain circumstances.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
FIGHTING?

GOOD?

BAD?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Vebral tongue lashings can be very therapeutic. Such as Victim - Offender meetings, when the victim gets to talk as much crap as they want to the offender. I've seen it on TV and it was jolly funny. Watching some people screaming at some hoodlums "Do you know how much damage hurt and pain you have caused my family!?!" to some kid that broken into a house and trashed it.

Physical violence can be heathly, look at ultimate fighting, wrestling (Not the WWE junk), and Boxing.

Physical violence can be justified when you being attacked or when you are coming to the aid of another person.

The very rare few have turned the other cheek. They aren't wusses, they choose not to hit back.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Fighting is just a part of life I think. All through the ages there has been battles, fights and wars. People having a fight over a taxi outside a club is more than likely down to alcohol, so alcohol would be the problem in that situation, not fighting.

Hey it's better to have a good ol' macho to macho fist fight than be a big man with the use of weapons.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If you're talking about the choice of a universe where the concept of violence does or doesn't exist, then I think the choice is obvious.

But if you're talking about violence as a solution or deterrent to violence, then it only works as an immediate and temporary solution. As cliched as it sounds, the truth is violence begets violence. The bully that you break the jaw of today will go and learn martial arts to improve his ability to kick butt all over chivalrous folk like you, or he will go and buy a gun, and he will be even angrier and messed up than before. It's rare that the bully will suddenly learn the error of his ways just because someone else beat him. So, did you solve the problem? Temporarily, yes. Ultimately? No. In fact you made it worse. This effect applies on an inter-personal scale, and on an international scale.

Then you have the kid who watched you beat the crap out of the bully and he thinks, "Wow, cool! I wanna be like that dude!" He starts thinking that violence is a good thing, even though he doesn't have the moral maturity to distinguish when it is appropriate to use it. Again, this happens on micro-social and macro-social levels.

And the thing with bullies is that more often than not, they were the victims of sexual or physical abuse when they were young, or they witnessed it in the home. And so they grow up to subconsciously emulate the behaviour pasterns they learnt in childhood. The cycle perpetuates itself.

So, IMHO is fighting wrong? Not if it's used at the appropriate times. Does it ultimately solve anything? Nope.

[edit on 2005/6/7 by wecomeinpeace]

join