It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a linux seti at home?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I used to have seti@home on an old computer of mine. I got rid of it after a while, kept feeling like it was 'slowing it down' even tho its not. Actually, i think it was just something that I got rid of while getting rid of a lot of annoying pointless programs.

Now I have linux, red hat in fact but that might change. Is there a seti@home for that??

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Nygdan, have a look at thisplease. Openning quote states:

"Linux Setup
Last Revised 5/1/03 for 3.08 client
This procedure works for me on Pentium 166 and higher machines. It works just fine on AMD 900 and up processors. I am using Redhat 7.2 linux and Mandrake 7.0. Note: Linux runs the seti client program somewhat slower than Windoz NT4, so your daily production will be somewhat lower.

Download the Seti Client setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar from here: alien.ssl.berkeley.edu... "

then follows what appear to be detailed procedures to run the program. This is for SETI@home "classic" as it is the version I'm currently using, as I am trying to break 10kWU's before classic is terminated!!

Good luck Nygdan!!

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
there is a linux version of BOINC too, just check the BOINC site

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
You shouldn't use the offical seti@home/boinc client though since it's performance isn't comparable to windows clients at all.
From there on you have the choice to compile the client yourself, or use one of the binaries that can be found on the net. Just look for one optimized for your architecture and you'll have a HUGE (up to 60%) performance increase.

mkx.feridot.com... for Intel
www.pperry.f2s.com... for AMD

new topics

top topics

join