It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I propose a Name and Shame Forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
It seems to me that ranting is becoming a great deal more popular when initiating threads and also seems to be accepted as the norm.

Example

I propose that we name and shame these morons, so they might think twice about posting such BS.

Maybe a voting system should be placed against each of the threads, where by the post can be put forward for the dumbest post of the month, week or day. If you win, you can't initiate a thread for a month, week, day or ever.

Anyone?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Yeah, the Hall of Shame idea has been sugggested a few times in the past, but it was concluded that it would cause too much drama.

I looked at the link you posted, it is really shame worthy.

I guess such people pop up every now and then, with their Final Solutions to muslim/immigrant/mexican/black "problem", nothing much we can do, except close the thread and warn the member I guess. Mods are probably still asleep though (most are americans and it is early dawn there now if I am not mistaken), so that is why the thread is still open.

This board is a reflection of real life, so a few bad sheep are inevitable.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
No. That would just end up being a 'name the troll' forum, and in my opinion, trolls are dealt with quite swiftly around here.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
No. That would just end up being a 'name the troll' forum, and in my opinion, trolls are dealt with quite swiftly around here.

Sanc'.

I agree, trolls tend to be dealt with quite swiftly, but not if the mods aren't awake.

Why do we not have more mods based in other timezones?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The simple answer to trolls is to not feed them. If you come across a particularly racist, obscene or abusive post, check out which mods are online in the list at the bottom of main forum page or MyATS and alert one of them via U2U with a link to the thread.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
I agree, trolls tend to be dealt with quite swiftly, but not if the mods aren't awake.
Why do we not have more mods based in other timezones?

This thread might interest you,

Time for the next step in the evolution of this online community

ps, our Mods are from around the world.

[edit on 19/5/2005 by Sauron]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Sanc'.

agreed.

it will turn into a chaos forum with anyone being named it. It would become a place of chaos. Hell on Earth.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Sanc'.

agreed.

it will turn into a chaos forum with anyone being named it. It would become a place of chaos. Hell on Earth.

It would still be helpful if each thread had a tiny troll-o-meter bar visible right off the listing page. As such, you don't reply to thread but rate its troll-icity on the scale from 0 to 10. This way, people would get a hint as to waht to avoid.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Edited due to correction.

Sanc'.

[edit on 19-5-2005 by sanctum]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The thread in question is being dealt with.
Sorry for the delay.

seekerof

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Koka,

Even when your intentions may seem right and sometimes even I feel like challenging some around for some of their remarks, is just not the right way to do things.

Things are going to get out of hand once in a while, as part of having people from all ages and background in this boards expressing themselves.

I take respect very seriously, once in a while is nice to have some heated exchanges but when it moves from one thread to others then it should be stopped

Putting a shame Forum may seem childish and somewhat will lower the standards of this boards to the same level of the ones that enjoy shaming themselves.

The best thing to do is ignoring the remarks or answer back with a better intellectual approach.

So far Koka I have always has regard you as a very interesting and well spoken person don’t let others take away that from you.

Sometimes kindness works wonders, other times been direct and to the point and telling what you don’t feel comfortable about works well too.

This is just my opinion.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It's a very unhealthy community that publicly shames it's members for bad behavior. Rather than encourage a change of actions for the better, it discourages any change in behavior and would probably encourage members to stop posting, leave, and never return.

Public stonings and hangings do not create a healthy working environment. Calling members out and insulting them to their face and in front of everyone is NOT a good way to remedy a problem. Better to discuss it with them, to try and convince them of another way of dealing with the issue at hand.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by infiniteIt would become a place of chaos. Hell on Earth.

Sounds like my local mall at Christmas !

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
It seems to me that ranting is becoming a great deal more popular when initiating threads and also seems to be accepted as the norm.

No, ranting is not acceptable as the norm. We have a Rant forum for that sort of thing. You can tell its a rant forum becuase of this little guy next to it

Thats the face that everyone posting in that forum has while posting in it.

Example[/qote]
Your example has been trashed, contradicting it being acceptable.

I propose that we name and shame these morons, so they might think twice about posting such BS.

Rather than meet vehement irrationality with calmed reason, you want to pin scarlet letters on your fellow posters??

[qute]a voting system should be placed against each of the threads, where by the post can be put forward for the dumbest post of the month, week or day.
ATS is not going to start publically humiliating members.

Privately is a different story.

*Puts hand to forhead* I sense....I sense...the future....The civilian government board will be used to rend retribution upon other members.... *removes hand from forehead, returns to 'normal'*
ugh, what happened? How long was I out this time!?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
It would still be helpful if each thread had a tiny troll-o-meter bar

The converse is available tho, the points, the bar, and the time registered. Someone with lots of points a full bar and who's been around for a while is generally ok, whereas someone with practically none of either who's ranting is probably, well, just a douche.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Well, in all honesty, I go with the majority of those who have posted here, I to disagree with the idea of Naming and Shaming.

Although I initiated the post, I did so knowing full well, logistically it would be illogical to monitor such things, it's petty and childish, and most times I just ignore and move on.

More often than not the mods step in quite swiftly and deal with the offending poster, sometimes they actually end up getting entangled in the exchanges themselves, not so good but somewhat reassuring, as I was sure we were dealing with a neural AI network of cloned Simons.....

The point I was really highlighting, was the waste of time and space these trolls generate, especially when they make no attempt to hide there motives, at least it's a bit more fun if you get to weed them out.

marg6043 thank you for your kind acknowledgment, not being one of the big guns I tend to wonder if anyone is listening.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I just wanna read trash bin threads,

my u2u thread was damn comedy gold mine!

GOLD I TELL YA!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think the warning, fine, global ignore and banning system already fills the bill.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
If you come across a particularly racist, obscene or abusive post, check out which mods are online in the list at the bottom of main forum page or MyATS and alert one of them via U2U with a link to the thread.

Or, better yet, click on the gripe/help button and complain there. Any mod around has a better chance to see the problem.

Here's the link
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join