It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New panoramic NVG for pilots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
special ops pilots are fielding new 95 degree NVGs, double that of current nvgs used by pilots which have lead to a few accidents over the years. They also have a kind of flash suppressant technology which filters out sudden blinding flashes of lights, very good improvement. But they look very creepy and insect -like check out the link for pics. Wonder if they'll eventually get panoramic NVGs for the grunts but I think these are too cumbersome for ground work and the new train of thought is that operators tend to want at least one eye open and accustomed to the ambient light at all times.

here's a link: www.defrev.com...

[edit on 5/18/2005 by Oblivions void]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
95 degrees is a huge improvement, I believe the standard used to be a 17 degree field of view.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The most decent NV I have seen available was 40 deg, however only 2nd gen. This must be 6th gen stuff by now, with better tech. Grunts will have panoramic NVG when nano becomes easier to mass produce. I can't even begin to inmagine. I was hoping for some kind of "flies" eyes, looking lens.

I don't think there is anything insect like about the gogs at all.
It would have been better to go with a larger monicle, made from light weight material, along with a half ball shaped lens. Like a flies eyes, exept for humans.

Oh well, maybe some one from R&D will read this and be inspired.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The standard issue NVG are 40-45 degrees, which isn't much where flying special close in high risk flying of Spec-ops close air support. It's said that with these new goggles that air crews can complete the same day time maneuvers in the dead of night with the same accuracy and precision of day time Ops.

but these things are plane freaky looking, it's weird and "alien" looking is a better analogy, it's has four things sticking out of it, lol, I would upload a pic, but I wasn't sure how when I tried. The future of NVGs is very promising with all the emerging technology that is being integrated into it.

top topics

join