It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grenade thrown at Bush was "real threat" (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The FBI announced today that the grenade that was thrown at Bush during his trip to Georgia last week was a live grenade. The grenade landed within 30 meters of the president, but had a malfunction with it's detonation.

story.news.yahoo.com
TBILISI (Reuters) - The FBI said on Wednesday a grenade thrown at President Bush during a visit to Georgia last week had been a threat to the American leader and had only failed to explode because of a malfunction.

In a statement, a Federal Bureau of Investigation official at the U.S. embassy said the grenade, thrown while Bush made a keynote speech in Tbilisi's Freedom Square on May 10, had been live and landed within 30 meters (100 feet) of the president.

"We consider this act to be a threat against the health and welfare of both the President of the United States and the President of Georgia as well as the multitude of Georgian people that had turned out at this event," said the statement from C. Bryan Paarmann, the FBI's legal attache at the embassy.

"This hand grenade appears to be a live device that simply failed to function due to a light strike on the blasting cap induced by a slow deployment of the spoon activation device," said the statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The statement seems to be a direct contradiction to recent reports that the grenade was a dud, and had it had been placed in the crowd rather than thrown at Bush. A reward of about $11,000 is being offered for any info leading to the arrest of the individual responsible.

Related News Links:
msnbc.msn.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.foxnews.com
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
".....had a malfunction with it's detonation."

Surely, that would make it a dud then....

£11,000 reward, now I tend to think that someone out there would probably pay alot more for the individual to try again.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I think that the original reports stated that the grenade was never meant to go off. That it was not a live grenade at all. This reports states that it was a live grenade, meant to go off, but had a faulty detonation problem That's the difference.

[edit on 18-5-2005 by mpeake]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think he meant the first report said it was a training grenade with no explosives. As much as I dislike G. Bush, I'm glad that noone was hurt. That grenade would have killed dozens.

top topics

join