It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biodiesel a possible replacement for oil.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
www.biodiesel.org...

journeytoforever.org...

it seems to be very efficient and clean. and more enviromental. i seem to be very persuaded on this new possible source of energy than nuclear power or solar panels or wind power. those are good to but nuclear power is dangerous and expensive and leaves waste products, solar panels is not very efficient and even more expensive and we have to wait for the sun. and wind power depends on making sure the wind keeps coming and nobody likes to have wind mills in their backyards even if its environmentally friendly and even enviormentalists hates it.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
The problem with bio diesel is that it still takes more energy to create it than you are getting out of it. Alot of alternative energy is hindered by the reality of physics.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Very interesting article in Wired about the Brazillian Renewable fuel Boom. Apparently 43.8 % of it's power comes from renewable sources like, hydro, ethanol and biodiesel.

www.wired.com...

This ethonol comes from sugar cane which has a high energy density then corn (makes sense)

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Very interesting article in Wired about the Brazillian Renewable fuel Boom. Apparently 43.8 % of it's power comes from renewable sources like, hydro, ethanol and biodiesel.

www.wired.com...

This ethonol comes from sugar cane which has a high energy density then corn (makes sense)

I'm guessing that sugar cane, like corn, is petro dependent. I'm also guessing Brazil gets by because per capita use of cars is still considerably less than in the US (as well as per capita energy consumption). In fact given endemic poverty in Brazil, I'd say that it is likely that a great deal of the Brazillian population doesn't have much access to energy--renewable or not. It isn't a big challenge to power half of your energy with renewables when you're leaving a lot of people out of the equation.

The hydro comes from building dams on Amazonian rivers. So great, its renewable, but they're screwing up their ecosystem.

In any event, good for Brazil, the right idea, but probably a little bit too late in the game to save themselves. Overpopulating an area without a lot of good agricultural land is usually a bad idea renewable energy or not.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Closing as almost identical to your post 6 min earlier....

Found here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join