It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to help China improve energy efficiency - Bush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

The United States must find alternative energy sources to boost domestic supplies and help fast-growing China and India become more energy efficient, President George W. Bush said on Monday.

"It's in our economic interest and our national interest to help countries like India and China become more efficient users of oil," Bush said in a speech while visiting a biodiesel production plant in rural Virginia.

"That would help take the pressure off global oil supply, take the pressure off prices here at home," he said.

Alternative fuels such as biodiesel, ethanol, and hydrogen would make the United States "less dependent on foreign sources of oil," Bush said.

Oil prices soared to record highs in April and dampened the president's public job approval ratings. Prices have since declined.

Bush said at the G-8 meeting of the world's richest nations in July he will ask the group to help developing countries find "practical ways to use clean energy technologies" and be more efficient in energy use.

China's thirst for crude oil far outstripped expectations in 2004, contributing to tight global supplies. Although China's oil demand growth slowed in the first quarter of 2005, some analysts said on Sunday that its April crude oil imports soared by 23 percent to an all-time monthly high of 12.25 million tonnes.

"We must be better conservers. We must produce and refine more crude oil here in America. We must help countries like India and China reduce their demand for crude oil," Bush said. "And we've got to develop new fuels like biodiesel and ethanol as alternatives to diesel and gasoline.

Source

This is quiet shocking. The US is helping China instead of blockading it.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy

This is quiet shocking. The US is helping China instead of blockading it.

ok.. i don't know what bushco is up to... why help china? even through i am chinese i am still questioning... why would bushco so willing to help china? i guess mostly because of corporate gain i guess... USA got so many problem at home need to fix... why send money to help china?

[edit on 16-5-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
(1) it's easier than asking his Republican constituents to actually do something themselves

(2) China will compete with US for world oil

(3) if there is heavy competition, then Islamic radical oil producers will have more power.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Helping China with it's raging growth in energy demand is one of the only ways to get U.S. companies and technology into that country. All most all of the U.S. products avaiable to china are undercut by chinese makers and the ones that can't be are either blocked from competeing there or are downright pirated (software for example). I think Bush and others know that in order to get our products/companies into China is under the pretext that is to "help" that country. It may well be win-win. Also I think that Bush knows what effect unfettered growth in oil demand will have on the U.S. economy, and I don't believe that any leader would or should stand by and just idlely watch. Love him or hate him, it's still the smart thing to do.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

"That would help take the pressure off global oil supply, take the pressure off prices here at home," he said

That is why we want to help China. by helping China we help ourselves by keeping oil consumption down and thus the price of oil.

If we wanted to blockade china from getting its oil that would be easy enough to do. Just block the Straight of Malacca.

The Strait of Malacca, linking the Indian and Pacific Oceans, is the shortest sea route between three of the world's most populous countries -- India, China, and Indonesia -- and therefore is considered to be the key choke point in Asia. The narrowest point of this shipping lane is the Phillips Channel in the Singapore Strait, which is only 1.5 miles wide at its narrowest point. This creates a natural bottleneck, with the potential for a collision, grounding, or oil spill (in addition, piracy is a regular occurrence in the Singapore Strait). If the strait were closed, nearly half of the world's fleet would be required to sail further, generating a substantial increase in the requirement for vessel capacity. All excess capacity of the world fleet might be absorbed, with the effect strongest for crude oil shipments and dry bulk such as coal. Closure of the Strait of Malacca would immediately raise freight rates worldwide. More than 50,000 vessels per year transit the Strait of Malacca. With Chinese oil imports from the Middle East increasing steadily, the Strait of Malacca is likely to grow in strategic importance in coming years.
Article

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

The first two post are exactly why I wouldn't want to become President.

You make a mistake or do somethin wrong, you're the antichrist.
You do something good, there's some hidden evil agenda.

I'd get annoyed out of my mind.

Anyway, the "why help China" question has been answered already (why was India left out?), hopefully halting any attempts to make this molehill into a mountain.

top topics

join