It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soft stance on whale slaughter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Japan will go to a meeting of the International Whaling Commission (IWC) in June asking to extend its quota of about 440 minke whales a year to humpback whales - an endangered species.

Link

Although Australia opposes the plan, it stopped short of supporting moves by environment groups to try to prevent Japanese whaling ships from entering the Australian whale sanctuary in Antarctic waters

I know they say it is for science but how many whales does it takes?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
This is really appalling. The numbers of humpback whales are still not at a level where they can be hunted. There are only around 4000 even now. This has nothing to do with research this is all about consumers. Even if humpback numbers were at a reasonable level, we SHOULD NOT allow this to happen. This is cruel and barbaric and every caring compassionate person should speak out.

One of the problems is that Japan does not recognise Australia’s sovereignty over the waters of the Antarctic. This is just the excuse they need.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Lady of the Lake yes you are correct but i just wonder if the Australian Goverment is doing a secret deal with Japan to let the boats in here for a fee

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I don’t think so.

This is all about trade of course and that is why the approach has been a soft one, but I do not think the Australian Government would deliberately ‘turn a blind eye’ and certainly they wouldn't take a fee and let the boats in.

Let us just hope that commonsense prevails in the end.

top topics

join