It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Performance with seti@home command-line version.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I was wondering what performances have you achived using the command line version of seti@home.

I have a P4-520 ( 2.8GHz, 1MB cache, HT ) and I'm doing a unit every 1.50" hours.
I would like to upgrade to a P4-630 witch has 2MB cache, and I was eager to find out if there's any performance boost in seti over my current CPU.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Isn't 1.50" hours fast enough?
I have a p4 2.4 GHz (without HT), it takes about three and a half hours to complete a WU.

I'm not sure if the command line version is faster. I also have a PIII, which runs on both Win XP and Ubuntu Linux. Under XP it takes around 7 hours to complete a WU, while under linux (thus with the command line version) it takes 9 hours... So depending on your OS, the command line version can actually be slower.

The best thing you can do is to format your P4-520, and completely re-install of WinXP (or linux), and only install seti on it (and a few other programs you might need).
You can download a whole bunch of WU's at once so your computer doesnt need to be online all the time, this way you dont have to install a firewall, or virus scanner, which slows down your PC.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have an AMD 2600XP Thoroughbred with a 256kb L2 cache and 512 meg of ram. I get an average of 2:20 minutes per WU using the CLI version.

xn

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I used to use the graphical version, until I tested the commandline version and it's way faster.

top topics

join