It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Cloaking Device Created...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Take a look at this link...

www.livescience.com...

From what I undestand that the "cloaking device" IS reality and HAS been tested and DOES work. Interesting that all articles I have read say that the device "scatters" or "cancels out" the light, it actually changes the frequencey of the lightwave when it "hits" the device, to a wave that is not visable by the naked eye, from what I understand, creating a "cloak bubble".

This link is the best and closest description I could find.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   

From the link provided:
But don't expect to hide yourself or your spaceship anytime soon, at least not in the standard sense of invisible. In practical terms, the research is more likely to lead to improved technical and research devices, and even these applications are years away.

I think it does not work yet... It's not been tested yet... It is still theory.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Yeah, totally still a theory. Unfortunately, not a particularly useful one in terms of cloaking itself, but rather in terms of other research to come.

But cloaking ability would depend on an object's size, so that only with very small things -- items that are already microscopic or nearly so -- could the visible light be rendered null. A human could be made impossible to detect in longer-wavelength radiation such as microwaves, but not from visible light.

A spaceship might be made transparent to radio waves or some other long-wavelength detector.

It's interesting, though, I'd not heard or thought of trying this sort of thing before, very good idea.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Yes, I also thought that it doesn't actually work yet. But, I believe that they are getting a lot closer.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
No no, I don't think we're getting close to anything... Not even close to a precise idea of it... Read the article: it is speculation, given one "curious" effect observed on particular wavelengths on extremely small objects. We are far from a proper cloaking device.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by menjo
Take a look at this link...

www.livescience.com...

From what I undestand that the "cloaking device" IS reality and HAS been tested and DOES work. Interesting that all articles I have read say that the device "scatters" or "cancels out" the light, it actually changes the frequencey of the lightwave when it "hits" the device, to a wave that is not visable by the naked eye, from what I understand, creating a "cloak bubble".

This link is the best and closest description I could find.

Going along with something else I read once, if a human or vehicle (airplane, car, submarine, etc) were somehow successfully cloaked, wouldn't they be blind? Or does the cloaking effect occur in one direction only? For the scatter/cancel effect described, I think anyone cloaked would be blind, at least in the wavelengths cloaked against. For the change in frequency, I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I'm just saying this because a cloaked stealth airplane is pretty useless if it can't navigate

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
interesting theory...they have the idea...but the wrong particles and molecules are being targeted....it is going to go somewhat deeper than exciting surfaces of the target being cloaked.

~oracle

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
Going along with something else I read once, if a human or vehicle (airplane, car, submarine, etc) were somehow successfully cloaked, wouldn't they be blind? Or does the cloaking effect occur in one direction only? For the scatter/cancel effect described, I think anyone cloaked would be blind, at least in the wavelengths cloaked against. For the change in frequency, I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I'm just saying this because a cloaked stealth airplane is pretty useless if it can't navigate

You have a point I think. I didn't read anything like that before, but it does make sense...

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If I read the article correctly, the reduced scattering is only achievable for objects whose size is comparable with the wavelength of the radiation that's being shone on the object.

An example given in the source is a spacecraft and radio waves (with sufficiently long wavelength, apparently).

So, for the visible light, there is no way that this could work on anything of useful size. Unless you want to have invisible dust in your house

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Use plasma screens with video cameras on the top of the plane

"Hey guys! I need one of those flying HDTV's up there for my new HDDVD's to be useful. Lets bomb it!"

top topics

join