It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embedded PC Microphones Used as Eavesdropping Devices - Possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
There have been some instances of hackers hijacking the webcams of PC users and using them to monitor without permission or detection.

Is it possible to use embedded microphones in computers to do the same thing?

This doesn't matter to those without microphones, but for those of us who do, it's a bit of a scary thought.

Think of all the phrases you say casually while sitting at your computer, and then imagine them re-arranged, edited, and played for a packed courtroom!

What sort of countermeasures could people employ? Perhaps tape themselves and deposit the tapes in a secure location just in case somebody tries to use the power of technology to make you say something you never said?

I wonder how secure PC microphones really are? Comments, suggestions?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Webcams are a danger because they're directly connected to the internet, and are built to show you. Their very nature is to allow the world to spy on you, as it were.

Your microphone plays into your computer, not the internet. Not only is it directly under your control (in fact, I don't use my mic for audio in, I have the audio in port set) but it isn't sent out to the internet. A hacker would have to get into your system, and install software that would take whatever was said into your mic and broadcast it directly to the hacker. All without you noticing, which you would given what an audio stream would do to your average connection speed.

You're safe.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
yep,

Get linux:

www.debian.org...

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The simplest kiddie trojan can hijack a mic and/or webcam.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
If you have the Macromedia Flash plugin any website can listen through your mic and record it. They can see you through your webcam too.

new topics

top topics

join