It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newspaper Circulation Continues to Decline

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
"The newspaper industry, already suffering from circulation problems, could be looking at its worst numbers in more than a decade.

Circulation numbers to be released today by the Audit Bureau of Circulations probably will show industrywide declines of 1% to 3%, according to people familiar with the situation -- possibly the highest for daily newspapers since the industry shed 2.6% of subscribers in 1990-91.

The biggest publishers may show the largest declines: Gannett Co., which owns about 100 newspapers, says it will be down "a couple of points" from last year's levels. Circulation at Tribune Co.'s Los Angeles Times is likely to be off in excess of 6% of its most recently reported figures. Belo Corp.'s Dallas Morning News expects to report daily circulation down 9% and Sunday circulation down 13% from the year-earlier period. All projected figures are for the six months ended in March."

online wsj

Proof that if you kep printing slanted lies with a ultra leftist agenda the people have a choice. Don't buy the rag. The print media is committing suicide and the "elite" just don't understand the reason why. The people aren't as 'stupid" as you think there 'elite-boy". Die a long slow death print media, you have infected yourselves with the insanity virus.

ed. to shorten link via code

[edit on 3-5-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
non causa pro causa.

maybe people just don't read anymore because they're lazy?

or newspaper prices have gone up?

or more tv channels are available?

or because of sunspots?

you know, the sad thing isn't the absurd logic here, it's that anyone could claim less people reading is somehow a good thing...

-koji K.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
You have voted DrHoracid for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

It not only effects large newspaper but local newspapers as well. When will they learn, we want "fair and balanced" reporting. Even with the circulation numbers being released, they still will remain in denial. They will try to blame the internet or blame the ignorance of the people. Basically like the Democrats are doing now trying to justify their poor elections results.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Yawn

As in England where newspaper sales have shown a similar decline, America chooses to take advantage of new media sources including TV and the Internet.

Not rabid leftwingers on telly Dr, and for every loony left website there is a right wing oddjob waiting!

Also if you were capable of truley understanding a leftwing position you would see that many papers in the USA are what are known as 'centre right or centre left' this means that there is no overt bias.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
One of the more popular explanations for the decrease in newspaper circulation is that people are getting their news online. That way they are not limited to their local paper and can read several online newspapers of their choice.

It isn't that people are reading less, they are just reading in a different way and are no longer tied down to their home paper.

Jemison

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Newspapers do not deliver what the people want anymore. The news is often superficial and provincial. They're somehow less professional.
We still have two papers in my city, but they are both run by Gannett, I think. On wekends and holidays, they print one combined paper.
I pretty much get MY news from ATS and ATSNN.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The growth of the internet and "news on demand" will be the death of print newspapers. Who wants to read yesterdays news.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
If Horacid & Carseller can't tie everything to a non-existent liberal power elite that runs America from the shadows, I guess their day just would not having meaning, huh?

A...........duh....it's an online world: I read NY Times, Washington Posts, LA Times, Boston Globe, Christian Science Monitor, the Guardian and Haaretz everyday for free. I'll mix in the Independent, Moscow Times & Dar al Hayat occasionally, again for free online.

THAT's why subscriptions have declined. Hell, you know how many people I see on the train reading news from the above that they routed to the company print server so that they could bring it home & read it?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
For what it's worth; the decline is probably due to a number of reasons.

Personally, I used to religously buy the newspaper on a daily basis...until I was involved with an event and witnessed all the details.

Then the "sensationalized" story came out - what a joke!

Since that day (probably about 10 years ago), I have purchased that same newspaper less than 20 times - mainly to check something specific that someone has told me.

Other people I know also do not purchase the paper because of the crap they print...and on top of that, all those "touched up" photos...LOL

One day they'll get the hint and a newspaper will change their story-lines and "hehold", their readership will skyrocket...then the others (editors) will follow...just like the sheep they are today...following the news that they "think" will give them greater cisulation.

It will come...but I won't hold my breath

CJS

AF1

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Why bother reading anything when Fox News informs me with everything i need to know!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The local Paper in Toronto costs .50 cents on weekdays and 1.50 on weekends. Why pay that when I can get it all for the price of an Internet connection?
No conspiracy here, only in your feverish far radical right minds. Places like WikiNews and ATSNN are growing while NY Times et al are shrinking. The Peak for printed news came at around '99 and has been falling ever since, television peaked in '85 and has fell by a third since then. All "traditional" media is dying and "new" media is growing. Those new media's that are growing are, Internet, Silver Screen and Video Games, deal with it.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
In my red state region, there is a left leaning paper and a right leaning paper. The right leaning paper had such poor sales the left leaning one had to buy it. The right paper is still in circulation, but its numbers continue to drop faster than the left.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
LOL

Dr Horacid bettered his own record of blaming everything on the left wing.

There is statistics that the circulation of mail via the US Postal Service is in steady decline for some time now. I'm wondering if Dr. Horacid will go on to speculate it's because more and more people decline to receive mail contaminated by the left wing thought. Stamps will go up in price again, by the way, by 2 cents.

I never bothered to subscribe to a newspaper because all news are available online. I'm glad we consume less paper, with that circulation drop. Save the trees.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Aelita wrote:
Dr Horacid bettered his own record of blaming everything on the left wing

Quite frankly, i'm rather surprised he didnt blame it on those pesky muslims

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I prefer online editions of newspapers simply because after reading it I can click on aditional links, sites, videos, graphs, then google all that myself to check it, to see if there are other views on it, etc, etc, all that for free.
It has nothing to do with newspapers being "leftist" or "rightwing" or whatever label you wanna put.
Reading news online has become a multifaceted experience, a lot more satisfying then readind a half-page column in printed newspapers.

on the side note: I see "banned member" under DrHoracid's name... what did he do ?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I gave up on newspapers years ago.

1 - The news is OLD. It is no longer 'news'.
2 - I can get it quicker on FOX/MSNBC or online.
3 - BIASED. My God! The paper here in Delaware leads so far to the left
it's pathetic. It's OBVIOUS in it's bias. Bias isn't news. It's propaganda.
4 - Also - the paper in Huntsville Alabama (were we did live)was bias
to the fundamentalists. Only printing their version of whatever was
going on. More bias. No news. Propaganda!
5 - The opinion and editorial sections just irk me. So much stupidity
being given so much paper space. All those trees died so that those
idiots could spout nonsense.
6 - The comics are no longer funny. Just lame.
7 - Not enough coupons to make buying a paper worth the $$.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I still have a newspaper but I also get news from the internet (mainly from this site). There is more news available on the internet than in a newspaper and the news seems to appear earlier on the internet than in a newspaper. I don't read our local paper like my parents do because its like its a tin pot rag.

I think the Internet is a more convenient way to get news, than a newspaper (and even the TV
)

[edit on 22/5/05 by Stranger Dreamer]

top topics

join