It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The BioHome project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
A self sustaining Dome-Home. This project is happening in eastern Nevada.
Lots of "closed system" Ideas. A greenhouse too.

Here is a newspaper piece:
BioHome Article

Here is the Project's website.
Project BioHome

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Thanks for a great site spacedoubt!

Although I applaud the 'technology', I don't think it is fair to say that it can be fully self-sustaining. The article doesn't talk about social isolation and how it can affect people. It also doesn't answer the sustainability question, like how long do batteries last that store the solar and wind's energy. (I believe the question of the lifetime of batteries to be a limiting factor for sustainable energy at present)

Another limiting factor may be the fish farm idea- it looks like you would have to have alot of technical support to make it work- I would like to know what breed of fish do they suggest, how to breed fish, what to do with fish waste- etc...

I find it fascinating that they have come up with a system for 'taking water from the air and soil'. The air well idea looks like a promising prospect for sustainable water versus the deep well-energy hog pumps. I have read about air wells before, but dismissed them as not being able to produce enough water- but with factoring in the greywater and human waste as well- it does look like a good solution.

All in all, I find very little to criticize- which means it passes the 'accountability' test

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
True,

the house is a nice packaged way of testing many technologies, some of which could be implemented in your average home...Some would obviously
be a bit harder..

I've heard that Tilapia, makes a good fish for a small fish farm..

I'm surprised that there aren't more comments here..After all
this is an idea that moves in a direction away from oil..

Guess it's more fun to point fingers and wallow in anxiety!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It's cool...I like it. Straight out of Tatooine

I don't know if we can all live in domes in the Nevada desert, but I do wish they'd make more of an effort to try and get people to conserve more energy in their homes and lives, and to grow and raise more of their own food.

It's an interesting, single example of a house but I think future houses will need to be parts of communities of fairly small but like-minded people for the division of labor and mutual defense and security.

If the worst case scenarios come true, we can't be relying on corporation food delivery systems or government security functions to be reliable and stable.

new topics

top topics

join