It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brown defends Blair over Iraq war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Chancellor Gordon Brown has defended Tony Blair's honesty over Britain's decision to go to war with Iraq.

In an interview for the BBC's 10 o'clock news, Mr Brown insisted the prime minister has told the truth about the reasons for going to war.

Asked if he would have taken Britain to war, Mr Brown said: "It was a team decision, a collective decision."

He said Mr Blair was "respected and trusted", adding he did not think claims he had lied were right.

"I don't think that is correct at all," said Mr Brown.

He argued that Saddam Hussein had to be made to obey the UN resolutions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

JAK

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
More Iraq buisness raised it's head today, although Mr. Blair is not perturbed.

BBC News

Blair plays down new Iraq claims
Tony Blair has played down a leaked memo indicating he was looking at ways to justify war with Iraq in July 2002 - eight months before the conflict.

He claimed the Lib Dems and Tories were focusing on Iraq as they had "nothing serious to say" about other issues.

Michael Howard accused the prime minister of deceiving the Cabinet and the Commons over the war.

The Lib Dems said Iraq would dog Mr Blair if he won the election, and he would be a "lame duck" prime minister. Continued...

Mr Blair, it is now known, was heavily warned against Iraq by his top legal advisor, now another leak appears to suggest that the reason any advice was ignored was because that the looming invasion was the long held desire of Mr. Blair.

This memo appears to suggest that, as many supporters of the war continously cry, that the invasion was waged on (at the very best) grounds of regime change. Now, before anyone else apart from Mr Blair should try this angle let us remember that the justification on apparent WMD's was considered inadaquate. Let alone, no matter how outrageous the despicable Hussien regime, baseing the invasion on a personal want for a change in the holder of power.

It is just a shame that leading the country into a war, the justification of which is rapidly proving to be nothing excepting an attempt for Mr Blair to live out some kind of personal fantasy, will not have any dramatic effect on the upcoming election. Were it to, do I personally think any difference would come of it? No.

Around and around we go, voting on the fear of an increasingly demonized past rather than any hopes for the future.

The choice, as they say, is..... what? Illusionary? Dictated? Irrelavant?

The above was used as an example of how these politicans treat and respect the public they represent, not a particular dig at one party; for I remember the same amount of distain from the Conservative government of the 80's and 90's.

I see all about me a politics increasingly governed by fear especially since the infamously sickening red-top gutter press tabloid headline "If Neil Kinnock wins today, will the last person to leave Britain please turn out the lights."

I don't personally care to know or influence which way you vote, just please...

Vote out of hope - not out of fear.

Whoever that might mean, Liberal Democrat, Conservative or Labour - so be it. At least that might be the first step.

Jack

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
Around and around we go, voting on the fear of an increasingly demonized past rather than any hopes for the future.

The choice, as they say, is..... what? Illusionary? Dictated? Irrelavant?

The above was used as an example of how these politicans treat and respect the public they represent, not a particular dig at one party; for I remember the same amount of distain from the Conservative government of the 80's and 90's.

That paragraph above reminded me of a quote I read today:

Democracy only exists for one day every five years, for the rest we live in a dictatorship of our own doing

ok I reworked it and added a little but it sounds better

Once the politicians get in they don't give a crap what we think unless it will effect them getting re-elected, they rule from their opinions not that of the people, and what do we do...thats right sit on our arses for five years complaining about politcians but then at the end we vote for the same people we complain about...... sad that we continue this cycle of apathy.

join