It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Doctors puzzled by this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It took me less than one minute to work this out.

Asylum-seeker disease baffles Swedish investigators

The government presented its first study of the so-called "apathetic children" today, after King Carl XVI Gustav added his voice to a chorus of concern from charities, church groups and politicians who want them protected from deportation.
"It is dreadful what is happening to these poor children," the Swedish king told reporters.

The condition is known as Pervasive Refusal Syndrome and can be life-threatening.

More than 61 per cent of the children come from the former Soviet Union, mostly Central Asia and the Caucasus, and 26 per cent from the former Yugoslavia, especially Kosovo.

emphasis added
Source

and

In some quarters Pervasive Refusal Syndrome is considered to be a child form of 'catatonia'. The condition is often linked to a previous, severe trauma.

Pervasive Refusal Syndrome

It's caused by the trauma of war, and it stinks

edit:title

[edit on 27-4-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
dangit ,
i was just going to post that.

i think that it is more than that though. ive read about 20 articles on this so far. And i think it wouldnt have been baffling at all to them if it was that. Post tramatic stress syndrome has variations and some different effects than this.

QUOTE FROM YAHOO NEWS ARTICLE :The condition is known as Pervasive Refusal Syndrome and can be life-threatening. It affects boys and girls of all ages, but mostly aged 8-15, who refuse to speak, move, eat or drink for days or many months, and must be drip-fed to keep them alive.
Virtually unknown before 2000, the condition has been seen on a large scale only in Sweden. But the researchers ruled out that the children were faking their condition.

Kind regards,
Digital Grl

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
While it seems like witnessing war-like conditions could easily have added to this condition, it seems more is needed to explain it. Has this happened before to children in war torn countries?

Amazing condition, and ultimately one of the saddest things I have heard. I will be praying for these children.

join