It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Every Car Is Tracked Through-out The uK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Over in the uk, they are taking a different approach to things. We have a new 'speed camera' of which is 99% accurate in all weather conditions.

They are recognised by a tall blue coloured poles and a small aerial pole next to it. The system does not use instantaneous speed like the cameras we're all familiar with, instead mile. How? By reading your license plates and matching them up camera -to-camera. The license plates are stored and can/are/could be used by the police to verify your perticular where-a-bouts at a certain time.

This is a new system which has now entered service after successful trials on the M1 and M20 in the UK. SPEEDCHECK SVDD (Sureway Video Detection Device) is a system similar in concept to the GATSO, but with a new twist. SVDD deploys cameras at either end of a measured baseline, (up to 500 metres) to monitor vehicles 24 hours a day. Using machine vision, vehicle number plates are read, and the precise time of each observation recorded and as a vehicle passes the second camera, the number plate records are matched, and an average speed for the vehicle is calculated. If this is above the trigger speed, then the vehicle's identification is recorded along with it's speed.

When triggered, the detection technology used in these cameras automatically records the date, precise time, location and speed of the offending vehicle, along with a detailed image of the front of the vehicle, which clearly records the number plate, make, model, who is driving and colour of the vehicle.

Six reasons why these are a pain in the is:
1. It works 24 hours a day.
2. Needs no film!
3. Uses no flash!
4. Uses no radar!
5. It's been proven to be over 99% accurate in almost all weather
conditions.
6. It doesn't do spot-speed checking.

Because it's automated, the system is entirely self-sufficient. It's hooked up to the DVLA computers, and can automatically process the fines and send out notices in the post.

It's Big Brother. Don't believe for a moment that this technology will only be used to catch speeders. It can be used to keep track of where every single car in the country is at any given moment in time once the network of these things becomes broad enough.

They can deal with 60,000 tickets EVERY HOUR.

Does anyone else find this SCARY?

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Sounds interesting! Are there any links to back this up at all?

TPL

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This system could used for both good and evil.

Good, any criminals could be caught with ease once we know their cars license plate, and police chases could be cut to minimum.

Bad, if the government called you a criminal or some else decided to use that system to track you down, it would be hard for you to get very far, very fast without using public transport.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The problem with this is that it just encourages the less honest members of society to use cloned plates more and more. It is already estimated that there are several hundred in just the London area alone.
The first anyone knows about it is when they receive parking penalties, speeding tickets and congestion charge penalties in the post as someone with an identical make, model and colour of car is using an identical licence plate.
There has also been talk of tightening the limit that is allowed over the posted speed. This is all well and good but how accurate is your cars speedo? I have read a few stories recently where owners of new cars have found that the speedo is innacurate by as much as 10%

As usual, this has absolutely nothing to do with road safety and everything to do with revenue generation.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I believe the cameras you refer to are more commenly called SPECS cameras. They've been in use for a while now, they ahd them on the Thelwall Viaduct on the M6 when they were doing bridge works there. Apparently these things are so good they can see the car and recognise the license plate before you can even recognise it as a camera. There's a link below with some info, they haven't released much info about the camera however.

observer.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
so does it constantly record or just when a vehicle approaches.

if they are hooked up to a network of any sort, more than likely its gonna hacked sooner or later.

someone could always hit the poles with car that dont have plates

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Let me get this straight...
This is happening in the UK?
And:

It's Big Brother. Don't believe for a moment that this technology will only be used to catch speeders. It can be used to keep track of where every single car in the country is at any given moment in time once the network of these things becomes broad enough.

Does anyone else find this SCARY?

Wait a minute.
Having been here as long as I have and seen many of the topics I have on the Patriot Act and how the US is turning into a fascist and police state, the UK has this, on virtually every car!?

I'm confused here.....

Just which and who is what?

seekerof

[edit on 24-4-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think its a fantastic idea...being able to track criminals alot easier. The only people who would need to be worried with technology would be those who have something to hide....

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchangelOfCool
The only people who would need to be worried with technology would be those who have something to hide....

Or those who are made out to be "people with something to hide".

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
anyone who likes this

is naiive !

I distrust any gov't agency with this much control...

this is too intrusive for my liking

I had heard the UK had RFID plates , but was unaware of this new leap in technology

it is very disturbing

perhaps the brits should have some type of bloody boston tea party to protest , eh ?

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The US won't be far behind. I've heard there is some type of camera in use but with a special laquer (spelling?)you can reflect the flash. However, this is what we call "Debt Reduction with Benefits"

Well, using US Dollar config, at an average of 100 bucks a ticket give or take the rest of your check, thats about $6 mil from one camera, possible in an hour.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by iluvhonda
so does it constantly record or just when a vehicle approaches.

if they are hooked up to a network of any sort, more than likely its gonna hacked sooner or later.

someone could always hit the poles with car that dont have plates

Yes it does continually record. It's similar to a CCTV camera but with advanced vehicle tracking and recognition software.

And I'm not 100% but I think they used encoded radio waves to transfer the data instead of normal network connections although I'm not sure on that. But yes, they are all linked to regional networks/offices were all the tickets are proccessed.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   

I think its a fantastic idea...being able to track criminals alot easier. The only people who would need to be worried with technology would be those who have something to hide....

Or perhaps people who don't want to end up having to pay even more money to drive a car. Seems to me these cameras are another step towards a possible "pay per mile driven" policy to reduce road congestion.
Imagine if once a month the UK government Department Of Transport could Direct-Debit every drivers bank account with a charge based around how many miles they had driven that past month. Nightmare.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Be careful here !

All of you that are currently drivers in the UK need to be very careful that you dont get too paranoid. These cameras have been on trial but only in certain areas, so dont go looking for little blue cameras everywhere, because you will find them ! However, they are part of the RAC system of traffic monitoring used to update all of our nice little GPS systems with traffic info.

Plus I do believe that it is still the law that when taking a picture of your car or you, the authorities are obliged to place the standard speed camera insignia somewhere on the road. If you see that, and still get caught then its your own damned fault !

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Argus, most of the road works on major UK motorways now have these lil blue buggers but I haven't ran across any fixed ones yet. Yes they do need to have the standard speed camera signs up but by the time you've seen the sign the camera's already clocked you. Not sure on the exact range of the camera either but I've heard it's a fairly long distance. Heard once that they could have your ticket proccessed and ready to mail before you'd even passed the camera.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   

This is the usual line that is sprouted to justify taking away our/my right to privacy – but – hell they are doing it for yours and my good. Why, so ‘we’ can catch criminals easier. How fantastic is that.

I have nothing to hide, but I am sick of the intrusion.

new topics

top topics

join