It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: U.S. House Approves Broad Energy Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The U.S. House of Representatives passed a broad energy bill today focused on boosting American domestic petroleum production. The bill permits oil drilling the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and prohibits gas companies from being sued over additives meant to help reduce air pollution. The White House strongly supports the legislation.

abcnews.go.com
WASHINGTON Apr 21, 2005 — The House approved a broad energy bill Thursday aimed at boosting domestic production, including provisions to allow oil drilling in an Alaska wildlife refuge and to shield makers of a gasoline additive from water contamination lawsuits.

The largely Republican crafted bill was approved 249-183 after two days in which the GOP majority turned back repeated attempts by Democrats to add measures they said would reduce energy use, including a proposal for higher automobile fuel economy requirements.

The bill includes $12 billion in tax breaks and subsidies for energy companies, more than the Bush administration said it wanted. Nevertheless the White House strongly endorsed the measure.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I support anything we can do to boost domestic oil production and reduce dependancy on imported petroleum. Also, companies should not be sued for additives required by law to reduce air pollution. I am somewhat perplexed by the bill's subsidies to oil companies, which are making record profits now however.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The drilling in Alaska is not going to do anything to alleviate our oil needs.

And the easy off on pollution control is another plus for the present administration to pay back the big corporations that finance his campaign.

They win and all of us including the legacy of our unborn children will lose in the end.

This nothing than another hand over of our rights and our children right to a clean world to big corporations.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I support anything we can do to boost domestic oil production and reduce dependancy on imported petroleum. Also, companies should not be sued for additives required by law to reduce air pollution. I am somewhat perplexed by the bill's subsidies to oil companies, which are making record profits now however.

This doesn't help domestic oil- this new supply goes to Asia= more profits.

When this thing unravels, in the next or the following administartion, a lot of oil execs will retire.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

This doesn't help domestic oil- this new supply goes to Asia= more profits.

Actually, this is not true. The House bill forbids oil drilled in ANWR from being exported.

Sec. 2206(a)(8) of the Bill:

prohibit the export of oil produced under the lease; and

join