It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqis shoot US helicopter amidst surge of guerilla activity (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Amidst a violent surge of resistance thwarting hopes for the announcement of a governement coalition, Iraqi freedom fighters used RPG fire to down a commercial helicopter containing civilian US contractors and bodyguards. Thursday's attack comes with a rebound in guerrilla activity in the past two weeks, with more than 20 car bombings in Baghdad and an increase in ambushes, shootings and assassinations.

news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Guerrillas shot down a Bulgarian commercial helicopter in Iraq on Thursday, killing all 11 on board including six Americans, the aircraft's Bulgarian owner said.

The Russian-built Mi-8 helicopter
was hit by a rocket- propelled grenade as it flew over a deserted area north of Baghdad, Bulgarian officials and the U.S. military said. It was believed to be the first downing of a civilian aircraft in Iraq.

The attack came amid a surge in violence across the country which threatens to overshadow attempts by Iraq's new leaders to form a government nearly three months after elections.

Bulgarian company Heli Air told Reuters that three Bulgarian crew were killed, as well as six U.S. passengers and two guards from an unspecified country. Officials originally reported nine people had died.

"An Mi-8 helicopter owned by the Bulgarian company Heli Air, and with a Bulgarian crew, was shot down," Bulgaria's Defense Ministry said in a statement earlier, citing information from its military, which is part of the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq.

All those on board were civilians, U.S. military officials said.

The helicopter and crew had been contracted by SkyLink Air and Logistic Support, a U.S.- based company with a contract to supply services to three airports in Iraq, according to Paul Greenaway, a SkyLink manager in Baghdad.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The sunni resistance to US occupation is still very active in Iraq, questioning the legitimacy of the early elections organized by the occupiers, sa well as the occpation itself.

[edit on 21-4-2005 by krotzkrotz]

[edit on 21-4-2005 by krotzkrotz]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
CNN (TV) says that militants claim to have killed a survivor of this crash in cold blood.

EDIT: They also have a video of it...

[edit on 2005/4/22 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The Bulgarian company that owned the downed helicopter said that besides three Bulgarian crew there were six American passengers and two guards from an unspecified country on board.

This was not a US helicopter. Although contracted by the US, the chopper was owned and operated by a Bulgarian company.

Please note the headline of the original article:

Commercial Helicopter Shot Down in Iraq, 11 Dead

[edit on 05/4/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
i was just wondering if some one have a link for the video , i'm still searching for it , i need to watch it !! thx anyway ...

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I've not seen it in it's entirity, just bits and pieces on the news. I am told it is graphic. Let this be a warning to any viewers.

I am not resposnsible for the contents of this video.

WARNING: Graphic Content!!!!!

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This submission on this topic has already been upgraded.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join