It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can peak oil be faked prematurely?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I've been finding some rather convincing information on all sides of the arguments here.

So far I've seen that these are the major points

-oil is going to run out 10-20 years from now

-oil will run out in several hundred years or more

-we will/ will not find and execute alternatives in time for all of this

Is it possible that no matter when the oil really will run out, that the companies will artificially starve the world of it? What kind of benefits would these same companies / groups get from doing such a thing? I assume they would not lose much revenue, as the price increases with the lack of supply.
Connections between the weapons manufacturers and the energy companies are widely known. Many other variables point to these companies / groups reaping massive benefits from something like this. I am curious as to what people on here would think about such a scenario.

www.thecarlylegroup.com...

Carlyle Group Focus Industries
Aerospace & Defense
Automotive & Trans
Consumer & Retail
Energy & Power
Healthcare
Industrial
Opportunistic
Real Estate
Tech & Business Svs
Telecom & Media

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The less abundant a resource gets the easier it would be to corner the market.

So logistically controlling/hiding a smaller amount of stuff would be easier.
Conversely the more desperately people crave something the more readily they are going to be watching for and sometimes falsely believing in manipulations. They will start shouting fraud and conspiracy even where there aren't any.

I guarantee you there will be shouts of fraud even when the real shortages hit. We are already getting pseudo science about oil being a geological and not a biological product.

There are historical examples of this kind of public hysteria. [The guy who electrified Chicago, after the great depression hit, was taken to court on false defrauding charges; The original French backers of the French effort at the Panama canal were overly villified and sued when that when bust]

People in power and especially the big oil companies might think about that. Even if they are being completely honest [which evidence indicates otherwise] they may find themselves in court, or if things deteriorate too badly maybe even strung up. They themselves might want to engender research that allows the transition to other technologies or possibly just a crash of civilization to be more gradual.

Human enterprise is a bit like trying to corner water. It may even be possible to do, but most of the time it simply runs out the sides of any cornering effort.

If you perpetrated a false shortage pre-maturely you might get people adapting to the 'new' shape of things. But then in the future after it was found out they would doubt other genuine obstacles.

If someone was going to force prices higher. Do it [legally] and be open about it and say why it is being done. [and keep that bullet proof limo handy]

I just paid $2.13 a gallon day before yesterday.
Thankfully I don't have to drive a lot.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
If you perpetrated a false shortage pre-maturely you might get people adapting to the 'new' shape of things. But then in the future after it was found out they would doubt other genuine obstacles

Yes unfortunately for them real scientists have joined the conspiracy theorists.
Makes it a little harder, but not impossible I think.

It would require a certain group of people to remain silent and allow society
to deteriorate. Wait I think I've heard that somewhere before?

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
it already was faked prematurly in the 1970's

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRepublic
it already was faked prematurly in the 1970's

I remember waiting in the 'odd' day lines to buy gas for my mothers car back in the 70's............
It was'nt ANY fun...
Plymouth Fury's drank ALOT of flippen gas.....

This past experiance is ALWAYS in my mind when thinking about the currant situation.......and yes, even though there are FACTS to be read and learned about PEAK OIL usage, the 70's situation haunts me and I wonder

top topics

join