It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look For Extraterrestrial Civilizations (Don't Just Listen)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
www.space.com...

Should we be looking for extraterrestrial civilizations, rather than just listening for them, as we do in the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) project? That is the suggestion of a French astronomer, Luc Arnold, in his paper Transit Lightcurve Signatures of Artificial Objects. He believes that the transit of large artificial objects in front of a sun could be a used for the emission of attention-getting signals.

In his paper, he describes the expected lightcurve signatures expected from passing objects of various shapes across a sun. The challenge is to use a shape that provides an unambiguous signature.

In his 1970 classic Ringworld, science fiction author Larry Niven describes the discovery of an enormous artifact; a ring of material that completely surrounds a star, providing a staggering amount of living space. The alien species that discovered the star asks humans for their opinion on what they have found:

The ring was checkered. There were regular rectangular shadows along its blue back.

this is a great step forward...

ENJOY!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well, he's an astronomer, but still.

First off, does he want us to look for these 'rings' or to create them ourselves to they can find us? Massive resources for the latter. MASSIVE even. It doesn't seem feasible right now or for a while, until we can start space mining (don't wanna strip our planet bare).

Second, I would have expected better from Space.com and you, but "Look For Extraterrestrial Civilizations (Don't Just Listen)?" Well, we can't listen for them; sound doesn't travel through space. We ARE looking for them. Radio raves, microwaves, gamma waves, all of it is LIGHT. We don't hear light, you 'see' it.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Well, he's an astronomer, but still.

First off, does he want us to look for these 'rings' or to create them ourselves to they can find us? Massive resources for the latter. MASSIVE even. It doesn't seem feasible right now or for a while, until we can start space mining (don't wanna strip our planet bare).

Second, I would have expected better from Space.com and you, but "Look For Extraterrestrial Civilizations (Don't Just Listen)?" Well, we can't listen for them; sound doesn't travel through space. We ARE looking for them. Radio raves, microwaves, gamma waves, all of it is LIGHT. We don't hear light, you 'see' it.

i know that you can't here sound in space...

it needs a median to travel through...

they meant radio waves...

its not hearing per se but its still funny...

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have always been wondering about the WOW-signal. I know it was kind of dismissed since it didn't re-occur. But I remember that SETI or something else sent this 1679-bit binary signal into space with a magnitude that would made us the single largest radio source in this galaxy (this was in 1974 at the Arecibo radio telescope). I figure that sending this 1679 bits was a relatively short emission that was never repeated (anyone has more info?). If WE sent a short, one-time message out, why would ET keep repeating it? Also remember that the WOW-signal's magnitude was really, really, really anomalously big. As I recall, the computer printed 1-9, A-Z if the magnitude of a source was above background noise and, and for the WOW-signal it reached as high as Q-U.
Maybe we picked up an echo of our own signal (Wow was received in 1977) or the signal was real and similar to our own Arecibo message.

Arecibo Message

top topics

join