It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You simply cannot trust Lithium ion batteries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 04:18 PM
link   
You simply can't trust lithium ion batteries.

The cargo vessel, pictured above by the US Coast Guard, was docked 2 miles off the Alaskan coast as responders attended to the fire. (AP)

The crew of a cargo ship off the coast of Alaska is safe after responders extinguished a lithium-ion battery fire on Sunday that burned for several days.

On Thursday morning, a cargo ship carrying lithium-ion batteries from Vietnam to San Diego, California alerted the US Coast Guard of a fire in their hold, the Associated Press reports. To prevent an explosion, the crew pumped carbon dioxide into the hold and sealed it.

The Coast Guard diverted the ship to Dutch Harbor, Alaska, where the crew docked two miles off the coast to ensure the fire and any toxic gases did not affect the nearby community, the AP reports. The ship’s owners told the AP there fire did not cause any oil leaks.

www.independent.co.uk...

So there you go you... you... ICE's! Bet YOU can't do THAT.

How many losses and how much environmental damage will be allowed in the name of this 'green' energy? And watch out Nevada, you're number one for mining of lithium in the USA.

If green lit, this mine would make millions of tons of lithium available.

Australian-based Ioneer also wants to build a large lithium mine in Nevada, which the company says is expected to produce some 20,000 tonnes of lithium per year, enough to power hundreds of thousands of electric vehicles annually.www.euronews.com...
Yay Australia. Destroy another country's land while making billions.

www.reviewjournal.com...

'Silicon Valley of lithium': Nevada mine breaks ground

E&E News by POLITICO
www.eenews.net... › Articles
Mar 3, 2023 — With the nation's second lithium mine starting construction this week, Nevada is moving toward creating a full-fledged lithium industry.

Sometimes I get the feeling EVs and other lithium powered mechanicals have zero to do with a greener environment and everything to do with money grabbing. And don't think for a second that China isn't in on the action.

The lithium mine at Thacker Pass is a project of Lithium Nevada, LLC – a wholly owned subsidiary of Lithium Americas Corp, whose largest shareholder is the world's largest lithium mining company, Chinese Ganfeng Lithium.

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Lithium ion batteries definitely aren’t the answer. They need to figure out battery technology to charge faster, have better range, and be less volatile.

That said it’s a shame that EV has become political. It should have been left to the free market to begin with.

There’s going to come a day where EV’s are needed to supplement the energy mix. The world is too geopolitically dependent on oil, and it makes sense especially for Europe to have other options. France is well positioned to host a decent mix of EVs since they have robust nuclear power.

If batteries get figured out or they come up with a good fuel cell option like hydrogen it can really give countries some energy independence. They’ll still need some ICE vehicles for things like trucking and climates that are colder, but at the end of the day the beauty of capitalism is options. Everyone saying it should just be EV is just as bad as people who act like EV serves no place in the market.

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I'd concede EV's if there was also a push for nuclear energy......

For the life of me I cannot figure out why these two things aren't a tandem act.

Also, to the OP, China is the largest importer of gas while also the largest builder of nuclear reactors. The truth is in the economics.

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

That said it’s a shame that EV has become political. It should have been left to the free market to begin with.

A big AMEN on that! When a government makes policy on personal choices and force consumer's support, you know it's for THEM and not us.

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Nuclear has to be the backbone.

You have to have a consistent and robust source of power if you’re going to increase the load. I’m not anti solar and wind, because it’s there for the taking. But some days are cloudy and calm, what do you do then?

That said, France is struggling right now to maintain a good supply chain of fissile fuel. It’s why they’ve maintained a strong interest in Africa, and that’s being challenged right now.

The US is better situated though, what we don’t have we can buy from Canada since their population is about a tenth of ours.

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Solar and wind are great for largely localized energy production, yet you'll still need redundancy as you mentioned.

Someday, hopefully soon.

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 07:00 PM
link   

When you have a fire on a ship it is standard procedure to close off the area and let the fire use all of the oxygen. A normal fire will extinguish itself in most cases. Unfortunately lithium ion batteries produce their own oxygen while in meltdown and only stop when the battery cools down enough or runs out of energy.

We will be seeing a lot more of this unfortunately. There have been a few ships effected by burning cars and even a parking garage.

On a side note.
Any time you see an electric vehicle burning, run like hell. Do not breathe the smoke. There is some nasty stuff in that smoke.

Lutron airport fire.. Range Rover hybrid battery meltdown.
www.bbc.com...

Ferry ship..
www.cbsnews.com...

edit on 2-1-2024 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 05:32 AM
link   

edit on 1/3/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 05:59 AM
link   

So there you go you... you... ICE's! Bet YOU can't do THAT.

How many losses and how much environmental damage will be allowed in the name of this 'green' energy? And watch out Nevada, you're number one for mining of lithium in the USA.

I don't know, while this event isn't good; it pails in comparison too events like these.

Deepwater Horizon oil spill

Fukushima disaster

Maybe it's not quite time to give up on battery power just yet.

edit on 3-1-2024 by Dandandat3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I was sorta hoping this single use battery technology was going to take off. Seems to be a bit moribund at the present though.

single use electric car batteries

If you think about it single use batteries would take care of so many of the problems with current EVs. No recharging. No expensive lithium battery with the recycling expenses at the car's end of life. etc etc.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 07:20 AM
link   
You can't trust the people pushing lithium batteries. Whether you do or don't believe in global warming and the supposed fix. And can spare 1 hour and 40 minutes. This is a eye opener to what is really going on.
Planet of the humans

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 07:24 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 07:24 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

EV's will make leftist politicians tons of money, so of course they're pushing for it.

Nuclear energy will bring the cost of energy wayyyyyy down and they can't have that.

The real issue is the infrastructure to handle the additional load on our power grid.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ntech620

So how does this magic battery work?

The example in your linked article is impossible as all drink cans are lined with a coating to prevent corosion. I smell a fake battery.

I can stick two different metal spikes in a lemon and do the same thing with a fan.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 02:19 PM
link   

They are in just about everything so trust is kind of implied.

Not that i don't take your point as to the dangers.

Nearly won a Darwin award there stupid f@d that he is. LoL

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

Appears they may have problems with figuring out a suitable cathode material. But aluminum for the anode and supposedly a environmentally safe electrolyte for that and the cathode to sit in. But who knows. Maybe they'll figure it out.

inverted.in...

posted on Jan, 4 2024 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech620

The site you linked is triggering my Avast which seems to think it dodgy for some reason.

top topics

join