It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rantish post about the loss of fast food as a net gain for society

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ITSALIVE

no, there is waste such as that, which is unrecoverable. This is mostly the waste that comes from mismanagement and grossly over portioned servings. There is also much more waste caused by over regulation.

For example, lets say you order certain amount of tomatoes. They usually will come in about 5 or 10 lb. boxes...
If you happen to refuse one of those boxes due to bruised or smashed tomatoes (which is customary in many chains for management to do), then that whole box has to be thrown away by the distributor.

#10 cans of product (the really big ones) usually come in 6 packs, if one is damage and the whole box is refused, the other 5 cans are wasted. Sometimes in this case, a restaurant will accept the pack and write off the one can, but the product in the can is still good...

I have waited tables, made really good money with that fake smile, you are right about that. I also don't think tips are evil
With waiters, they get a below min. wage hourly pay, in hopes that they get good tips. If their tips are insufficient then the company must still give them at least the federal min. wage which is far below many of the states minimums.

A lot of waiters and tipped positions know how to manipulate their earnings claims. I guarantee you there is more tax fraud in the restaurant industry than Capone ever committed. (just so were clear that is not me condoning organized crime)

I don't see the connection to a high school dropout bettering themselves. can you give a clearer example?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ITSALIVE

In after thought, i see that the conversation has gone a little sideways.
My point is not change anything or give people second hand food.
My point is, that we as society can benefit from a complete end of the entire industry.

From the production of the food, to the packing and shipping and storage and regulations....all of it.

We could be better society without it, more independent from corporations and government but more importantly, just plain more independent.

The lack of the industry would also alleviate pollution and waste other than food.
While the article is linked to in the OP show the massive amount of waste created by the industry every year, that is only food.
Those numbers do not account for the paper and plastic trash created by the industry, never mind the massive amounts of oils that are used for a few days and then thrown away.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: datguy

I have always thought that if we wanted to get a grip on the healthcare issue in this country, instead of focusing on getting everyone insured, we should focus on educating people on how to optimize the way they live so they can be healthier. I agree with you, fast food is a blight on our society. We should put a tax on this food the same as cigarettes, fast food does at least as much damage as smoking, and then we should take the tax money and use it to subsidize healthier foods, by lowering the price of organic vegetables, etc. People need to really educate themselves on what they put in their mouths, and the detrimental effects it has on both long term and short-term health. There is a very good series on Netflix right now about people living to 100. A researcher travelled worldwide and tried to find commonalities in areas where people lived longest. He found that they ate less meat, walked and worked outside more, and kept social networks late into their lives, as well as endeavored to maintain a sense of purpose in their lives. Those are things we are missing in our American society right now. People hardly walk anywhere, don't eat very healthy, and there is a loneliness epidemic in our society. If we started addressing those three things, we would start to see big improvements in health and aging in this country. But getting back to the subject of this thread, fast food is GARBAGE. We would be vastly better off without it.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Do you have intercourse with trees or some other honey hole. I go to McDonalds about 8 times a year. That's it and don't tread on our freedom.

I am also fit.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   

and grossly over portioned servings.

I have eaten in restaurants over 4 decades globally both private and on business. I have NEVER had an over portioned serving.

Just WTF do you see this?

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

Do you have intercourse with trees or some other honey hole.

You make this statement, and then equate freedom to eating McDonalds.

Let me pack that up in a nifty styrofoam take home container for you because there is definitely something you didn't digest along the way.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Let me pack that up in a nifty styrofoam take home container for you because there is definitely something you didn't digest along the way.

I agree with you on environmental damage. We recycle all plant and veggie waste back into the ground. Been doing it for several decades. The amount of vegetables we get is over the top. Squash, Watermelon, Tomatoes and finally green bell peppers. The tomatoes are store bought that once replanted return to their non GMO altered state. Flavor is incredible.

However you may be a bit behind the times. That day at McDonalds NO Styrofoam. Just waxed paper and with a paper bag. Coffee Cup was paper with plastic lid. I recycled both.

Our weekly waste is less than one 15 gallon bag of garbage. Its never full. Our recycle container is full every two weeks. It one of those huge dumpsters. Once the get the EV back on the road they should ban all plastic and return to glass. That would neutralize the freight cost of the added weight.
edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: typos

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I see you as a king deciding what kind of restaurants we should be allowed to have. Humanity has had enough kings.

I’d rather you suggest that we empower people to eat well. Once the kings are gone, we can start a new epoch whereby people actually learn the hidden secrets of health and finally get exposed to the right information.

I’d rather you suggest there be a check on corporations who build these death trap fast food places all over the world. People are getting fat and addicted to salt and sugar in India and Peru—places where good food and good eating were part of their culture once. Corporations are destroying the health of humans world wide.

Let fast food die because we evolve to a better people in a better world.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Fast food will be available for as long as people are on this planet.
It goes through technological. ergonomic and financial stress that are good and bad, just like everything else we eat.

The demand for better quality food will be met, and yes it will cost more and yes, people that make it need to be compensated in a way that they can afford to live on this planet, just like every one else.

I think quality and simplicity will run the new fast food franchises. Those that cannot compete will disappear just like things have always been. Those that come into favor will be essentially what the people want, as has always been the case as well.

We, the public, essentially design and build the entire concept of fast food, on a continual basis. On a global scale, what happens is what we want to happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join