It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK PM Rishi Sunak announces shift on climate policies delaying switch to electric cars by 5 years

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2023 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Sunak understands nothing. People just went and smashed up all his gestapo cameras & creep vans in London he had set up to spy on peoples cars, rendering the policy largely unenforceable (In London anyway, and as far as the Tories are concerned the UK exists entirely of London and their holiday homes in the Southwest).

posted on Sep, 21 2023 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

This reminds me of my province basically admitting a fre yeara back that all the recycling initiatives, education, and advice on how to sort recycling was nothing but a big waste of time and money.

I've been trying to find information on it but haven't been able to dig it up.

posted on Sep, 21 2023 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienBorg
www.cnbc.com...

U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak on Wednesday said his government would take a new approach to meeting its emissions targets as he announced a delay on the ban on the sale of new gasoline and diesel cars.

The ban will move from 2030 to 2035, in a shift that was criticized earlier in the day as causing uncertainty for the automotive industry as it readies for the electric vehicle transition

Sunak said people needed more time to make the transition away from gas boilers and that households in some areas would get a delay on existing targets for the ban on new fossil fuel boilers. He also announced a 50% increase in cash grants under the government's boiler upgrade program.

"I believe deeply that when you ask most people about climate change they want to do the right thing, they're even prepared to make sacrifices, but it cannot be right for Westminster to impose such costs on working people, especially those who are already struggling to make ends meet," he said Wednesday. He also denied watering down targets despite the pushing back of key timelines.

When realism takes over the green agenda then the latter becomes a thing of the past. After Sweden ditching its targets for 100% renewable energy supply making plans for much more realistic, reliable and efficient sources of power (nuclear being a major source of energy in Sweden), the UK seems to be having the same thoughts just as every country with sane energy policies that have delivered several blows to the ridiculous green agenda.

We won’t be switching to electric cars. The idea is stupid and always was. Not enough resources to make enough batteries. Not enough infrastructure or capacity to charge them all. Cars actually make minimal impact overall and another way will make more sense. Hydrogen is most likely.

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I would not say it's a waste of time and money just that there are too many scam's going on and those are costing us the taxpayers of our nations and arguably perhaps even causing more harm as with some well known scam's were supposedly recycling materials were being sent to and dumped on third world nations were nothing was actually being recycled at all.

Being a Brit we have an old saying over here "Where there's muck there's brass", admittedly it was more one concerned with literal muck such as manure and human waste but genuine recycling has been going on for a very long time were that recycling was cost affective, before we switched to possible cancer causing plastic bottle's and plastic sweet wrappers for example we used to have a return policy on glass bottles and sweet wrappers were often made of grease proof paper that was easily biodegradable.

Only some plastics are recyclable and all of them end up becoming unrecyclable eventually, biodegradable plastics are growing in popularity however but given that there very biodegradability can cause problems were plastics are used in long term applications it is not a perfect solution.

My take on it is this, we are all being scammed, there is a warranted concern about waste and pollution but in fact the problem is not our technology but our throw away society, use biodegradable were it is necessary and to me that does not need new technology but going back to tried and tested ones such as those glass bottles and paper sweet wrappers,. Use the plastics that are suitable were they are necessary as until there is a better solution they remain essential it is just that we have over used them which is a product of corporate not human activity, of greed not the consumer but the supplier that wants you to throw away, that wants your products to wear out so that you will be constantly enslaved to having to buy new replacements.

That we can not stop progress, to do so is to invite disaster of other kinds and progress is always better than stagnation.

There are need's for recycling but we need to police it better, to get carbon points scammers into prison where they belong and to do likewise with corrupt corporations in it to make a quick buck while passing off the uneconomic recycling they got the contracts for to third world nations.

To fix the world we need to fix the politicians and kick corruption and corporate cronyism out of our government's, everything else will then fall into place naturally through competent leadership and better public friendly regulations.

Besides I am old enough to remember that drink's taste nasty out of plastic bottles and tasted far better when they were in glass ones and the same with sweet's not that I eat them as much as when I was a kid, for that matter we should ban palm oil and get rid of corporate leeches out of the food industry such as Kraft whom have just about destroyed the taste and quality every one beloved brand of food.

So in summary, recycling is good and fair when it is done properly but the blame is not the public's to shoulder it falls fully on the heads of the corporate hegemony and the corrupt politicians that have empowered them to take over our world with there monopolisation of everything.

And there are too many eco-warrior scam's going on at the cost of joe public's well being.

<< 1  2   >>

join